• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

deer hunting with dogs?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daniel collums

45 Cal.
Reaction score
do you have a season where hunters can hunt deer with dogs in you area. deer with dogs opens in the morning here in mississippi and its the first regular gun season and its buck and doe. i'm surrounded by 4 hunting clubs that all use dogs so not by choice but it makes me a dog hunter by force. my son and i both got a doe last week with 50 cals, he's done with black powder hunting for the rest of the season but i'm going to finish it out with the kentucky. i still haven't figured out how much to lead them when they come by at warp speed. i need to watch the last of the mohicans again where they shoot that elk thats running downhill. them fellers are such good shots they just shut theirs eyes and think where to shoot.

Nope. Allowing your dog to run big game is against the law here. Not sure I'd go for deer, but it'd be nice to be allowed to run bears with hounds.

I hunted in a black powder club in Colbert County Al on the Mississippi line. We had 4K acres and didn't run dogs, everyone around us did and dropped their dogs on our line. I became and anti dog hunter because of this experience, never met an ethical dog hunter and had 5 out of 10 trips to the club (45 miles) ruined by trespassing dogs, both hounds and house dogs.

I moved my hunting across the Tenn River to a no dog hunting county and never went back.

Good luck trying to kill a running deer in front of the hounds with black powder.

I have been through Pontotoc a bunch of times on my way to a traditional archery tournament at Lake Enid.

do they still do that at enid, if so when and where. i fish at enid all the time. its only 30 minutes from my house. in the spring you can catch white bass, large mouth,crappie and catfish by the cooler full in the backwaters where the yocona river runs into the lake. i have killed some nice bucks on the cor land around there also.

I've got a muzzleloading permit for a WMA that borders a dog-hunting area. I set my stand on the line today. Nobody has been killing anything due to the heat so maybe I'll have a chance.

It opens tomorrow too.

I'm all for dog-hunting hogs, coons, coyotes and cats but deer hunting is better without dogs.

palonghunter said:
Nope. Allowing your dog to run big game is against the law here.
Same here in MN, matter of fact a feller can get himself in trouble if his dog even "accidentally" runs Deer.
At one time it was legal to shoot a dog seen chasing Deer, they changed that what with "ethics" and dog being "property" an all, but a CO would be hard pressed to find fault with someones errant shot because of the affore mentioned "lead time" at a running Deer.
"Sorry, I was shooting at the deer and the dog just ran up past and got in the way"

Back