• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How many of your rifles have killed deer?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Pa. Blame Comm. magazine is a propaganda rag for the Commission. If you want to see what is really going on in Pa. , subscribe to the Pa. Sportsman Newspaper. Ever since the Blame Comm. , signed on with the United Nations , "Going Greener" , movement , things are no longer pro hunting. Sad times for hunters here. The Pa. Sportsman Newspaper gives a better perspective of how the public views , what the Blame Commission is doing.

Gotta think on thes one. I can think of at least 7 that I've taken deer with but I surely missed one or two. And most of those took scads (a "Southern" word meaning very many) of whitetails and often as many as three in a row in the morning before noontime.

My 40 cal kentucky I built in 1977 has taken several, also 45 cal Yorktown from Cabin Creek. Looking forward to having a chance this year with the 58 smoothbore Kibler Colonial. Many others with the percussion guns.

Both my 62s have taken deer an coyote. The Bruton lots more than the Schell woodsrunner since I have had it lots longer. My newest 62 has a zero count being that it didnt come in till after deer season this yr. Its batter up this fall though

My TC Hawken and my TC Renegade have both bagged 2 deer.
Next time I hunt I will go out with my CVA cobble together gun. Has a Pioneer stock, bobcat lock and trigger and a mountain stalker barrel. Shoots pretty straight and it is lighter than my TC rifles. Gonna mean a bit more recoil, but I tend to only need to shoot once to tag my deer.

That's a fine looking rifle... I have several that I haven't killed anything with. I've been toting my .58 percussion and flintlock for both deer and bear hoping to get one with either. I also have a handful of inlines that haven't killed anything yet. I use them mostly for target shooting and having some fun at the range and for hunting when I can expect a long shot over 100 yards. I hear tell the .58 smacks the snot out of deer. I'm hoping soon to find out first hand.

Just two of mine are confirmed deer getters. A CVA Bobcat and a Traditions Deer Hunter. My wife gave each of them to me as Christmas presents back in the nineties. Funny thing, if I carry either of these two it seems like I am always more likely to get a shot. When I am packing a "better" rifle I never get the opportunity. I know it's all in my head but I'll take it as long as there is meat in the freezer.

Since my primary shooting goal is hunting, most all of the rifles I have owned have taken deer. My Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken has seen the most action, by far.

I do currently own two rifles (of legal caliber) that have not taken big game.

I have a Brooks Colonial that I have hunted with and have passed on does and smaller bucks, but no game shots taken yet.

I also have my Haines, very well built to copy an original, by our own Dave Person. It is from a Chambers kit I sent him and hasn't been in the woods. I SO wish I had had him do the build from scratch to better fit me. That's the problem with kits that leave little leeway to build them to the shooter's needs. They can be perfectly executed but still not fit because they can't be altered enough. :(

Since my primary shooting goal is hunting, most all of the rifles I have owned have taken deer. My Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken has seen the most action, by far.

I do currently own two rifles (of legal caliber) that have not taken big game.

I have a Brooks Colonial that I have hunted with and have passed on does and smaller bucks, but no game shots taken yet.

I also have my Haines, very well built to copy an original, by our own Dave Person. It is from a Chambers kit I sent him and hasn't been in the woods. I SO wish I had had him do the build from scratch to better fit me. That's the problem with kits that leave little leeway to build them to the shooter's needs. They can be perfectly executed but still not fit because they can't be altered enough. :(
Dave does such a nice work! We are blessed to have his involvement in the community!

58 Lyman and 54 Renegade. First ML deer was with the Lyman in the 1980s

Others I've not taken hunting deer. One is a rack queen a 54 TC hawken with unfired NOS 1-66 barrel, a 50 Renegade that's only been out a few times, and 12ga TC with a Toledo full choke bird barrel.

Jonathan Browning .50 killed 'em for decades until they ran out of replacement mainsprings, then he went away. Only one with my Ruger Old Army. Hatfield .45 flinter. Ithaca Hawken. H&A underhammer, originals, etc. killed the rest over the last 50 years. All patched round balls, .45 & .50's mostly.

The one that's frustrated me over the years is an original .54 over 12 gauge percussion that I've sighted in, loaded, and carried into the woods several times but never fired at a deer. It's simply too heavy to carry very long. Each time I've thought "okay, I can do this", but always swap it out come breakfast time.

For me with ml, haven't counted but only my Rev. style .45 flint longrifle. Several others with an unmentionable. For my wife, she took two in one day with her TC Seneca stocked/Douglas barreled 'Half Breed' .45" cal.

I've 3 new to the cabinet that need to be blooded.
A .54 percussion Renegade
A .50 flintlock Renegade
A breechloader.
My unmentionable has 4 to her credit and my laminated stocked T/C Hawken has 2.
I like to hunt a rifle exclusively until it's blooded. Happily, it usually happens its first year out.
The Hawken, her first day out, took 2 an hour apart TO THE MINUTE.

Latest posts

Back