• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How many of your rifles have killed deer?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rifle's I still have:
Cva 50 Mountain Rifle
T/C 50 Hawken
Lyman 54 GPR

Rifle's I used to have:
Cva 45 Kentucky
T/C 45 Cherokee
T/C 50 New Englander

All have taken deer some more than others over the years all cap locks.

Guns I hope to harvest deer with in the next few years:
Kibler 58 SB Colonial
Caywood 62 English Fowler

I have 7 ML's 5 of them have killed a dump truck load of tick toters through the years. The 2 rock sparkers i got last year have not, i am still working on them . Mostly now load development on them. They should be ready to hunt this Fall.

It's first hunt. It's first shot.
Kibler Colonial .54

Attachments

• SC Mountain 5.jpg
    SC Mountain 5.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
goes. have taken deer with my .45 cal SMR Flintlock, my .62 cal smoothbore flintlock, and my .54 lynman percussion.

Half of my muzzleloaders are not of the traditional variety and used at the range for the most part. I have 5 not counting the 3 I acquired in the past month. Of those five 3 have killed deer. I have had several others that killed deer that I no longer have.

Don’t know off hand how many long guns I’ve owned. But most went in to the deer woods. I’ve owned two 1863 muskets that never hunted. And a NWG that never wen deer hunting, a .45 Navy arms rifle that I never got a chance to hunt with, but all and all most of my long guns smooth and rifled took at least one deer
Since my first ml in ‘73 I’ve mostly had three long guns, rarely four and many years with two. Right now I have four but one has yet to be finished and shot. It’s a .76 and I don’t know if I will ever use it as a hunter.

Several with previously owned .50 ML's. Only one I have now is a .50 New Englander that I have taken elk with using Maxi Balls. New to me this year is my .54 Lyman Great Plains Rifle. I wanted to go back to shooting round ball for deer and I certainly plan on breaking in my GPR this coming season. Unless something changes, I hope to save a few of my tags for ML only. Been filling all my tags for years now with archery equipment. However, it's gonna be difficult to hold off until ML and/or firearms season. I love the all leaved out early season when no one else is in the woods.

I once killed 7 deer in one season with a Chambers Early Lancaster. None of the meat went to waste. That was back when I could put a deer in. the truck without help and when I had taken 5 weeks off from work in Nov and Dec. Practically lived in the woods.

Every one of my hunting muzzleloaders has taken big game. My 45's haven't taken elk because it's illegal. Several of my 50's haven't taken antelope because my 45 is my pronghorn and deer gun.
Right now my 45 target rifle is the only ML I own that hasn't made a kill but that wasn't its intended purpose. I got no doubt it would do it.

Attachments

• 20210718_074011.jpg
    20210718_074011.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
IMG_0197.jpeg

My first deer with a muzzleloader came from my first muzzleloader, a Jack Garner percussion .40 poor boy. The gun took 4 deer, won a LOT of matches, and probably hasn’t been fired in 4 years. It’ll be passed on down to my boy when I think he’s ready. Got his first gobbler this spring, so we may be close.

IMG_0194.jpeg

My .58 Kibler only has one under its belt, but it’s sure to have a lot more. In fact, it had a nice buck (which I eventually harvested with my bow a month later)12 yards from its barrel last fall, but I couldn’t see my front sight.

IMG_0195.jpeg

I mean, it’s a species of deer, right? My dad’s first gun was lent to me so I could participate in a once in a lifetime Kansas elk hunt. Afterwards, he refused to add to the tack ware on the rifle, because “it wasn’t his kill”.

I have 2 that haven't harvested yet. My 58 Cal CVA big bore that was my late fathers that came to me last year. Hope to get a doe with that this year. I also just finished building a 28 gauge (.530 RB) smoothbore on a traditions Kentucky base with a colerain barrel. Also hope to get a deer with that this fall.

Both 50 cal T/C rifles have taken deer. One is the kit flinter I built way back when, the other is a Pennsylvania Hunter percussion rifle. PRB in both.

All 3 of mine have taken something. Deer, javelina, turkey, smaller birds. I owned one other but sold it recently. I never took any animals with that one.

I'm primarily into hunting and all this black powder stuff is secondary, though still a lot of fun. If the tool doesn't have a purpose, then it's gone. Collections are nice but there's 1001 ways I can save, invest or spend money and they all compete for my attention.

All 3 of mine have taken something. Deer, javelina, turkey, smaller birds. I owned one other but sold it recently. I never took any animals with that one.

I'm primarily into hunting and all this black powder stuff is secondary, though still a lot of fun. If the tool doesn't have a purpose, then it's gone. Collections are nice but there's 1001 ways I can save, invest or spend money and they all compete for my attention.
The rifle that has harvested the most deer in my armory is a .58 cal flint lock English park rifle. With a 28 inch barrel. It has harvested more deer than the entire armory all together including the entire number of unmentioned stuff. I have developed a preference for larger bored guns. It’s sucessor will be . 58 cal with a 44 inch barrel and a ghost ring peep sight due to my age and eyesight. BJH

Latest posts

Back