• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Decorated Clay Pipe

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buffcreekforge

40 Cal.
Reaction score
While looking through back posts of a well known page that features contemporary artists doing traditional work based on historical examples, I came across the work of Ra Sharek Gadd having decorated a couple of clay pipes. Doing a little background research, it would appear that early pipes were decorated first by sailors based on tattoo patterns they saw on Pacific voyages and later explorers drew patterns based on Native peoples geometric patterns on pottery. I made an attempt to duplicate an effort. As always, I appreciate the opportunity to share with the community. I remain your humble servant, Just Dave.

I can't go one way or the other on historic references, but I like it a lot. I've devoted a lot of time over the years to photographing petroglyphs, pictographs and pottery, so I can verify that your design is "within the realm."

Not telling you what to do, but interested to know if you tried India ink, too. Comes in an array of colors in addition to black, including red. I used some red on a buffalo horn I made for a bud, and it turned out like red ochre, a pigment commonly used by lots of tribes.

Black Hand said:
Black Dave said:
Inked on with permanent ink.
The look screamed Sharpie marker to me...
Interesting idea, wrong medium.

This raises the question, what did they originally use, and what should it look like, if not this?

How would it look different, if done with a fine quill or brush? :hmm:

I'd like to see the originals/original work upon which this was based myself.

These white clay pipes were made by the hundreds of thousands and were DISPOSABLE. Why would one go through the effort to paint a throw-away item? There were some bowls that were more elaborately molded that took a stem.

He said the originals he referenced were sailor pipes. So I wonder if that would effect it. Pipes could only be smoked in the forc’st’le and then just on the dog watches. So a pipe might be more protected,more personal :idunno: sailors oft filled this time doing fancy work... macrame, scrimshaw, embroideries ect. Even snuff boxes craved from dried salt beef.

???? I don’t know as I’ve never seen it done or referenced

Somehow, I can't picture a sailor 6 weeks from landfall throwing his "disposable" pipe overboard.

If I were in that situation, I would treasure and protect a pipe if I had one, regardless of how common they were on land.

I would also think personalizing my pipe with some decoration of my own doing might keep my bunk-mates greedy fingers from making off with my treasure. :hmm:

I grew up washing and re-using ziplock bags, so I feel compelled to observe that "disposable" is a relative term. I've seen cases for carrying/storing pipes, so perhaps they weren't that disposable. The point about personalizing a pipe as a means of marking ownership is a good one.

I too would like to see the originals. I've been trying to find something about them online, including a couple searches on the Contemporary Makers Blog, but have so far drawn a blank.

Elnathan said:
I grew up washing and re-using ziplock bags, so I feel compelled to observe that "disposable" is a relative term. I've seen cases for carrying/storing pipes, so perhaps they weren't that disposable. The point about personalizing a pipe as a means of marking ownership is a good one.

I too would like to see the originals. I've been trying to find something about them online, including a couple searches on the Contemporary Makers Blog, but have so far drawn a blank.
Disposable in the sense that they were inexpensive and people didn't worry if they broke/were lost.

I am put in mind of the rendezvous locations where in so many pipe parts are found. Mountain men, like sailors at sea, couldn’t restock easily.
It is an interesting piece, makes you wonder.
I wonder how their cost compared, they’re about $10 today or an hour and a half at minimum wage or 1/2 an hour at a average American wages.

tenngun said:
I am put in mind of the rendezvous locations where in so many pipe parts are found. Mountain men, like sailors at sea, couldn’t restock easily.
It isn't rocket science to improvise a pipe...

BrownBear said:
I can't go one way or the other on historic references, but I like it a lot. I've devoted a lot of time over the years to photographing petroglyphs, pictographs and pottery, so I can verify that your design is "within the realm."

Your use of the words "petroglyps and pictographs" confused me. I didn't know the difference so looked it up. Various references still leave me confused. :doh: Wiki said:
Pictograph has a rather different meaning in the field of prehistoric art, including recent art by traditional societies and then means art painted on rock surfaces, as opposed to petroglyphs; the latter are carved or incised. Such images may or may not be considered pictograms in the general sense.
But, some examples they show, the pictographs/grams are incised on the rock, not painted. And pictos have a mathematical meaning and, in other cases, are still used today to assist those who are language challenged. All that aside, I commend you for preserving the ancient images. Very important that those be saved. :applause:

Black Hand said:
tenngun said:
It isn't rocket science to improvise a pipe...

No, not at all. I’m careful with my pipes, but broken pipes make up a lot of archeological materials.
Ships carried slops,stores laid in by the captain, or the owners of the ship, or the supply houses for the navy. Slops were mostly clothing but small sundries for the crew. Whalemen often came back from a two or three year voyage owing most of their pay to the owners having bought so much from the slops. I wonder how free sailors could be with pipes.

necchi said:
Elnathan said:
I too would like to see the originals. I've been trying to find something about them online,
including a couple searches on the Contemporary Makers Blog,
Now that's an oxymoron by definition.

:slap:

If you back and read the first post on this thread, you will notice a subtle clue - the part where he mentions reading "a well known page that features contemporary artists doing traditional work based on historical examples" as a starting point for this project.

It was a very diffficult case, Watson, and in the end I had to take the drastic step of reading the words written in the post.

I like it.......wish I had the talent to pull off intricate work like that but arthritis won't let me anymore.

it seems that one person here must be the only one that ever gets or does anything the correct way

i've lived with perfectionists......most are only so demanding of others and full of hot air themselves.

Back