• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Deal on Swiss Powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreyWhiskers

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Met a guys who is gettin out of the M/L game. Got a chance to buy about 20lbs of "Swiss Black Rifle Powder." Not familiar with the brand. The can has a sticker on it that says "3fg Sporting Black Powder." Is this the equivalent of GOEX fffg?

Maybe a little better? If the price is right you will be getting a good deal.
Fox :thumbsup:

I believe that the numbering system is different, and that Swiss FFFg is more like Goex 4Fg - priming powder. Check it before putting down your barrels.

Just found it on the web with Elephant Black Powder site. Their "Sporting Black Powder" is the one I want. Just didn't want to buy something that I couldn't use. At $15/lb it's a bit cheaper than I can order it.

You'll find that Swiss 3Fg burns a little faster than Goex 3Fg, but is essentially useable for the same applications, just reduce your loads by about 10% to start.

:v fffg is fffg no matter who makes it if they use the standard sieve to grade it. So Swiss fffg is Goex fffg only with the care taken in grinding to granulation of the Swiss brand and the type of charcoal they use makes it burn slightly better. :v

Pasquenal: That " using a standard sieve " is a big " IF". Not wanting to argue with you, but I recall reading a post from someone, who had compared the powders and found the Swiss 3Fg powder to be much faster burning than the Goex. And, apparently ,in the powder industry, there are a range of diameters that can overlap some what, from one " size " to the next. That is the reason that some shooters who are serious about target shooting have bought their own sieves, and screen the powders they buy themselves before using them in their guns. Their chronographs tell them that this caution is paying off with small deviations in velocity from shot to shot.

Having said all this, If someone is just using this powder to shoot off-hand, plink, or even hunt large game such as deer, I think the advice to reduce the load 10 % and then test fire it for group and POI is all that would be needed. Not everyone- probably the vast majority of NL shooters- is interested in fine accuracy that a target shooter demands.

Guys,
Thanks for the info. I did a forum search and found JR's post about a sideXside comparison of powders. It showed the M/velocities of 4 powders including Swiss. Swiss had the highest velocity. Then someone asked if it could be because of the grain size. JR found an older post with tests of 3fg powders by screening. The Swiss powder had the least amount of 4f grains and fines.

So I think I will back off my load a bit and give it a try. :grin: GW

Back