• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Davis siler lock help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Babills

32 Cal
Reaction score
I just purchased a new to me rifle. When I went to change the flint it puts pressure on the frizzen at half cock. It's an older lock and the hammer seems to stop further forward at half cock. From some research the older geometry in the tumbler causes this. Can't The tumbler be changed? Or do I have to grind the back of all my flints? I hope this makes sense.

Chambers has an updated hammer and tumbler that they use on their Siler version. If it is a true Siler, it might work on your lock. You might give Barbie a call.

I have started punching my leather with a leather punch and leaving a small piece between the holes. Then I can remove the clamp screw and put the leather in with the small piece behind the screw. The flint goes back to the screw and the leather doesn't fall out.

^^^ What they said. A hole in the leather will allow the flint to set back further in the jaws.

The leather i am using is very thin. Deer hide. Not thick enough to make a difference. Just got back from the range and it shot and functioned great. Just can't keep it in half cock, fine for the line but not safe for hunting.

you can use a pr of plyers to nibble a notch in the back of the flint to fit (watch out those little flint scraps are sharp)

Measure from the screw to the frizzen at half cock. Subtract the leather thickness and allow a little clearance from the frizzen face.. Then order a dozen to try.

Back