• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Daniel Boone casting Roundball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Close to me is "Bat Cave" NC named for a local cave where they had harvested guano since the 1700's for gunpowder.

The Ottawa confederacy did fall on The Illinois confederacy after the death of Pontiac. The Ottawa wiped out the Illinois and drove the few left into Iowa and Minnesota. Indian tribes were as vicious as anything whites would do.

tenngun said:
When I started watching there was the great ships and histories mysteries, the revolution ect ect, then came pawn stars and pickers. :shake: very sad. I still watch some shows but mostly it’s a waste of the airways.
:metoo:

Artificer said:
Brokennock said:
Did ya catch the guy from Yale lamenting that the people of Boonesborough were portrayed as hero's, "but the Indians are Americans too." Sure they are, now. Did/do they deserve more respect, sure. But I'm sick of his ilk trying to rewrite history to be politically correct.
One thing that is lost or not talked about much is that the larger Native American Tribes originally got to be large in population and powerful by the fact they warred and drove out or subjugated other tribes and were then better able to establish agriculture. This was going on long before the Europeans showed up. The Iroquois were especially warlike and subjugated other tribes, for example. However, unlike the European Settlers, they did not try near genocide against or extreme forced migration against other tribes.

Um, yes, they often did. Dig into the history of the Beaver Wars in the 1650s, when the Iroquois essentially exterminated the Neutral, Wendat, and Erie people. The Erie ceased to exist after the 1650s, wiped out except for small remnants (women and children captives) that were "adopted" into the Seneca. Absorbed. Assimilated... Exterminated. The Indian way of warfare was often what modern people would call genocide.

It's true there were some examples, but when speaking of the Iroquois, they also subjugated the Lene Lenape (Delaware) and did not do genocide against them.

But it is good to point out all these things so real/actual history is not lost, nor changed to be politically correct.

Gus

Every people everywhere have done evil and good in equal measure. The island of Britain was the home of a Neolithic people, invaded by another Neolithic people invaded by celts, Romans Germans Scandinavians from Denmark and Norway then from Normandy. Irish pirates were making slave raids in Britain for centuries before the The Brits enslaved Ireland.
Mesoamerican had wars just to get captives to sacrifice to the Gods. Several Polynesian ran fleets of warships dedicated to enslaving and driving out other people’s from the best islands.
Land belongs to the people that can hold it.

I saw more than one percussion gun.

I'm still curious about the magic flintlocks that shoot with the frizzen open and the pan empty...

Very, very poorly done in my opinion. My husband and I started trying to find things they got right and gave up after a few minutes; the errors were so odious, from the clothes, the hats (oh my!), the rifles (mostly smoothbores with a number of percussions and even a sharps!), the forest (it was filmed in New Zealand; the trees and underbrush did not look right and weren't!). The commentators were pedestrian in their assessments (where did they get all these know-nothings?). They also re-used footage from "Sons of Liberty" (another disaster on so many levels).
I don't plan to watch any more of these. Such a shame; such a missed opportunity. They should have hired real historians, filmed it in the US at various historic locations/recreations, and hired US re-renactors. If this was too much for their budget, then they should have scraped the whole thing in the first place.

Black Hand said:

I'm still curious about the magic flintlocks that shoot with the frizzen open and the pan empty...

I think the frizzen open thing was a safety measure. Those shots came from the camera man off to one side but in front of the gun. In other shots the flintlocks seemed to have been real.
Ossha rears it’s ugly head. And like the Hydra grows two new lawyers or every one that retires.

I'll still watch because it's better than watching Pawn Stars, or American Pickers.

Black Hand said:

Ah, well the answer to that is a bit complicated.

It seems prior to filming the movie "Northwest Passage" in 1940 and starring Spencer Tracy, a rare discovery was made of a secret weapon intended for issue to the military out west, after the UnCivil War. So they used examples in that film.

That Secret Weapon had what looked like a Flintlock mechanism to fool NA hostiles, but in fact was a trap door mechanism breech loader. However, it was deemed impractical, so not many were made that way..............

:haha:

Gus

Eastern tribes had the torture ceremony on captives. And it gave a last chance for a warrior to prove his worth.
Western tribes often did postmortem mutilations in the hope the dead would be so crippled in the afterlife. Not in itself far removed from European thinking. Witches and heretics were burned so they would have no body that could be resurrected.
I do seem to recall Europeans being as mean to Europeans as they ever were to Indians.
You know you travel so fast these days, take breakfast in Milan, lunch in Rome and be in Sicily for vespers.

tenngun said:
Black Hand said:

I think the frizzen open thing was a safety measure. Those shots came from the camera man off to one side but in front of the gun.
Not really - I saw the frizzen open, the person pulled the trigger, you heard the shot and even saw smoke come from the pan. They were shown from all angles with the frizzen open, and yet the guns still fired. Most/all were camera angles from behind and to the side - no danger to anyone...

Personally, I would rather watch an amateur that knows and has some passion for history, do a youtube video about what they know and have researched - then to watch the History Channel or some Hollywood production that doesn't have a clue.

I'm glad this isn't used as a drinking game:
If a person took a shot every time they saw an inaccuracy, they'd be in the hospital getting their stomach pumped by the first commercial break and dead of alcohol poisoning by the second set of commercials....

First commercial break of Tecumseh - I'd be dead already...

The shot glass being used as an inkwell was a nice touch. :barf:

Latest posts

Back