• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Casting Bismuth for Newbie

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Casting is new to me. I'm in CA where we have to use non-lead projectiles and have had fine performance from ITX and Thor bullets. But they're costly and sometimes not readily available. A friend who is charged with helping promote lead-free ammo among hunters has given me some materials to cast some .480 round ball & test it in my 1:48 twist rifle. The gear he gave me is pretty simple: a 6-cavity mold, a ladle, a large pipe cap for a melting pot, a ladle and some kind of bismuth alloy ingot.

Last night, I put the cap on an electric 1-burner cook plate and melted up some of the bismuth. I warmed up the mold and ladle and tried my hand at casting a little. Some were good, some were bad. Things improved once I cranked up the heat as high as the little little cook plate could go. But I have oddball nubs at various points around the screw. Most look almost like there are little bits of metal that are attached to the ball. So if anybody knows what I'm doing wrong here, I'd appreciate the tip.

A couple other questions I have on the casting process is whether I need to flux the bismuth like lead or if that's unnecessary with most of these alloys. If so, I'm assuming beeswax is still appropriate? How much do I need for small batch? I'm also curious if I should be doing a water quench or if dropping them on a wet rag is fine.

Sorry -- I'm jumping in before doing my usual homework. If things work out and I like the results at the range, I'll definitely pick up a book & learn a lot more about it.

Attachments

• IMG_5727.jpg
    IMG_5727.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 57
DON'T

It's too brittle. (imho) It may damage your sprue cutter and might shatter on an animal if it hits a large bone. Use a Lead Free Bullet Casting Alloy
It will cool larger than all lead so you will need to adjust your patch
It will be a little lighter than lead so you will need to check your point of aim..., you might adjust your powder amount

LD

Looks like they werent solidified all the way yet. Bismuth may take longer to harden. Considering that you cranked the heat up all the way, i say let them sit a little longer before dropping them.

Latest posts

Back