• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dangerous Situation

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't really call it dangerous unless your firearm is in poor condition. A full powder measure isn't going to blow your gun up. It might give you a nice surprise though. Black powder is a low pressure explosive and would take quite a bit more than your standard powder measure can hold to blow your gun up, but not seating your projectile against the powder is another story.

The bone implement on the right is my powder measure. it took all of an hour to make.
Using the Davenport Formula, I found my maximum charge ( filled all the way up). (74.5 grains)
Then I drilled and put a pin at the point where the best group happens. (55 grains)
I have two charges, and no mistakes.
View attachment 110552

Can you post a close up please sir? I like the idea of what you’ve created here. Thanks.

Thank you for posting this. Never thought about it but I will be checking for it now. Good thing you didn’t load 150 or 200 grains.

what is the factory proof loads in them? I don,t think you came close to that?

Mine came loose right after I bought it. Did not think much about because I caught it in time. I check every time after dropping powder. Gonna check and locktite it before using again. THANKS

My 12ga fowler turkey load is 100 gr of 1F, 1 1/2 oz of shot and a Skychief load with an oil soaked 1/2" fiber wad, now that load's recoil will get your attention.

I concur, 85 grains of powder is not dangerous but if you have been shooting 45 gr it will feel Like it is to you if you are not used to it.

Last edited:
I have one of those measurers, but I can't quite understand what you are describing. Are you talking about the round disk that rides on the square post, on the inside of the measure? Mine isn't threaded on, it seems to be pressed fit and is quite solid.

The only threaded parts on mine are the side locking knob, and the knob on the bottom of the square post (on the outside of the measure). Don't know if the design has been changed, but I have had mine for a number of years now.

Does yours have the Ted Cash (TDC) makers mark stamped on it? I believe TOW's are made by Ted Cash and have his makers mark on it. Mine does.

Last edited:
Does yours have the Ted Cash (TDC) makers mark stamped on it? I believe TOW's are made by Ted Cash and have his makers mark on it. Mine does.

No, mine does not have the Ted Cash stamp.

I don't see how it was dangerous and why fail to wonder where it had come from and hope for the best 🤦‍♂️.
Shoot it offhand or a tall enough tripod. Bench rest is for small boys and girls rifles, lol.
Not all commercial ranges give you any other choice on rifle ranges. Our 1,000 yard range is prone or bench only.
Some ranges have had bad experiences with customers with little or no history or training, thus the restriction. (Insurance issue)
Not everyone has an option of a woods walk experience.
Equating them to small boys or girls - not very good manners......

Not all commercial ranges give you any other choice on rifle ranges. Our 1,000 yard range is prone or bench only.
Some ranges have had bad experiences with customers with little or no history or training, thus the restriction. (Insurance issue)
Not everyone has an option of a woods walk experience.
Equating them to small boys or girls - not very good manners......
ah com'on Griz! the older i get the more like a little boy i get!

Latest posts

Back