• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dang those flints are sharp

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swede50

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I went to the range Saturday with a friend. It was trying to rain all the time so I was having problems with the pan but I kept wiping it out with alcohol each time I had fired the TC flint lock. We decided to move from the 25 yard range to the 100 yard range. I ran a few TC #13 patches down the barrel to remove the FFFg I had burned and while wiping the pan I felt a sharp pain and started bleeding quite a bit. I looked at my finger and the blood was flowing pretty good. I thought I had cut it real bad. I put one of my cleaning patches on the cut to slow the blood down and we moved to the 100 yard range. After about 20 minutes I decided to take the patch off and see how bad I had cut my self. This is not the first time I had been cut real bad I once cut the end of 3 fingers off with a table saw working construction. I pulled off the patch and found out I had taken out a “SQUARE” chunk of skin about 1/8” x 1/8” and about the same deep. It sure bleed a lot and Dang those flints are sharp.

Aztecs used to cut peoples hearts out in a blink with flint daggers. I have learned to be very conscious about the pan wiping step. Slit my index finger a good one too.

I was also fighting the rain this past Saturday. I didn't cut myself but I can only guess how much blood I donated to the bugs. I'm all bumpy and itchy now. :wink:

Yea Varmint! they is Sharp,,,youll be more
kierful next time ..huh?
SOONER ER LATER WE ALL DO IT.. that how we learn.
Psycholigists say even the dumbest monkeys learn the 3rd time....I have been cut 4 times..uh duh?

You're not alone...after the second time I sliced my finger open trying to wipe the pan with the hammer at half cock, I started going to full cock after each shot as I was setting the rifle back down...no more sliced fingers.

PS: But you haven't graduated yet...wait till you cut it then get some BP residue into it...you'll immediately understand the cauterizing effects of "salt"

I had already wiped the flint with alcohol so I didn’t get any burnt BP in the cut. Just to be safe I poured some alcohol on the cut while it was bleeding. Man that stuff sure burns.

-----the only ones that haven't cut themselves on a flint,shoot percussion---been there did that-----

yep they are that!! been there done that, got a few t-shirts. just another part of shootin flintlocks! :v

Wait till you try making your own flints. My advice is to stock up on bandaids first! :wink:

------just think of the poor old NATIVE AMERICANS chipping flint arrowheads for a way of life---used a lot of band aids I betcha-----

That doubtless explains why blacksmithing was invented...some bright spark in the Neolithic decided he was tired of being gashed and would rather be burned and bashed!

I've only been shooting flinters for a little over a year. I sure did remove a lot of skin the first few times out! I agree, they're sharp! :rotf:

Flints are really sharp, but Obsidian is the one that is the sharpest. It's edge can be as small as one molecule thick and is sharper than a surgeon's scalpel. Unfortunately it's also extremely brittle. If you try to use it to fire your flintlock, you may get a spark or two out of it before it shatters. It's great for flintknapping arrowheads, knife blades and spearheads, but not so good for use in a flintlock. You haven't seen sharp until you handle some shards of obsidian...ask me how I know:shocked2: :shocked2:

Twised1in66 :thumbsup:

Oh yeah.Been there ,done that and got the t shirt!Eventually,everybody gets it! Best regards,J.A.

Right you are, Twisted. I know of a Tucson hand surgeon who uses freshly-struck obsidian blades in the most delicate parts of his work. I believe there are some plastic surgeons who do the same. The blades don't need to be strong for that sort of thing, but they're so sharp that scarring is minimized.

That's why they have the old saying, "In like flint". Obsidian is the sharpest thing known to man.

-----is obsidian the black glass like stone they sell in pet stores for fish tanks-----

Latest posts

Back