• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Sharpshooter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonewarrior

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyone out there provide me with some feedback on this rifle. I can pick it up for $50, and it looks practically new. Thanks.

I know absolutely nothing about a CVA Sharpshooter but if you can pick up ANY "practically new gun" for $50- what are you waiting for - $49? :surrender:

buy it. you can always part it out if it turns out to be bad. lock and trigger probably get you your money back!

It is a more "modern" styled sidelock muzzleloader. I just got one off ebay that I'm putting a 24" CVA Frontier barrel on. The parts are of good solid quality. I've never had any problem with the Spanish guns. I'll have $78 into it and the barrel is not the best.

I don't know anything about it either, but I say jump on it. For 50 you can't go too wrong.

Well, I brought it home to check it out. Everything is in excellent shape, except for the barrel. Breech area of the barrel is toast as far as I can tell. Squirted some penetrating oil down the barrel, let it sit for a while, removed the clean out screw and poured it out. The rust flowed. Any ideas on saving this or just take it back?

I think that now that you've done the first thing, the second thing would be to run as many patches down the bore with some soap and water as is needed to get as much rust out as you can.

Then try to figure out if the rust is deep and pitted or just surface rust.

I've seen some guns with fairly bad pitting shoot very well. They just take a bit of extra effort to clean throughly.

Because the rust seems to be down in the breech area, if a strong light won't show you the condition try running some tight patches (on your cleaning jag) down the bore. If they come back out looking very fuzzy or torn it's time to do some more thinking about the gun.
If they don't look any the worse for wear I say keep the gun and try shooting it a bit.

Only then will you really know if the gun is any good.
Come to think about it, I'm betting it will give you more than $50 worth of enjoyment just making smoke and poking big holes in targets and cans. :grin:

i bought a CVA sharp shooter a few mo. back also for $50.00 the bore looks like a sewer pipe. gob's of rust. every other parts look like new. i wore out 2 bore brushes trying to clean up the bore still looks just as bad as before . if you get it cleaned up let me know how you did it.

i was in a gun shop in west tn. they had 5-6 ML rifles there most all were $50.00 all had junk bores. i have seen recent ads for CVA's for $100.00

You know, it is amazing how low the prices that get thrown around here are. If I could find guns at the prices stated here, I would buy a bunch!

theres a gun shop in mc lemoresville, tn thinks it's clyde's gun shop. population 300 only one gun shop there they had 5 CVA's there all $50.00 all with bad bores"rust" i'm sure there are still some there. or you can buy mine for $45.00 plus shipping or come to north arkansas and pick mine up. want my address where to send the money. seance you said you would buy them all up ???? :rotf:

Back