• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA rifle age and price

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wikinger

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Was asked to look at about eight rifles and two pistols that a friend's father wanted to determine the values. He bought them from an estate. Most were modern, but he had a CVA percussion rifle, .50 cal. with set triggers. Half stock, single wedge, no patch box. Has the look of a Hawken. Good condition.
Looked like alot older manufacture than I thought. When did CVA start making rifles and what would be a fair price to offer him for this?
Don't need it, but you know how it is with an addict.

It sounds like an original Mountain rifle. They came out about 1975-76 I had one, 50 cal. single wedge pin, halfstock. Mine was a kit gun they sold for about $100.00 in kit form.

My early 70's Mountain Rifle has a patch box and two bbl wedges...this is one with a "Made in America" bbl, so pretty much an original...Hank

I gotta agree with Hank, my original mt rifle has the patch box, 2 barrel wedges and the made in usa barrel. sounds like yours is a frontier model.

Look on the barrel. It will most likely say Hawken rifle or St. Louis Hawken. If so, it is a 100$ gun in good condition. The lock plate should be plain. The stock is likely a replacement unless it is a Bobcat. The Frontier rifle that I am familiar with had a modern pistol grip type stock. If they made it with a straight wrist, I don't remember seeing one like that.

The .45 cal. and .50 cal Mountain rifles had a patch box, the .54 cal and .58 cal. Big Bore mountain rifle didn't, But ALL of them had 2 barrel wedges. The St Louis Hawken has a brass patch box. I still think it might be the Frontier model. See if it says anything on the barrel.

If I remember correctly, on the barrel it only had:
Conneticut Valley Arms
.50 cal
black powder only
cva2.jpg

Nobody around here pays more than $100 for a used CVA in excellent condition and a dinged one will be lucky to fetch $50.

No one buys sidelocks any more. The shops can't move them. Most will not take them in trade and the pawn shops laugh at you. I paid $25 for the last Mountain Rifle I bought because the set triggers were messed up and replacing the adjustment screw fixed that.

The CVA claim to fame was the fact that they were cheap to start with!

You have to buy and trade based on the public attitude not the addicts' attitude.

the last estate auction "I" attended had a CVA Mountain rifle ...the addicts bid it up to $475 really quick! I had one in the 70's ...I wish I had not let it go........sigh.....double sigh..

scalper said:
the last estate auction "I" attended had a CVA Mountain rifle ...the addicts bid it up to $475 really quick! I had one in the 70's ...I wish I had not let it go........sigh.....double sigh..
When people hear," ESTATE AUCTION " They think everything is a valuable and antique. I have been in antique shops that sell Traditions and CVA sidelocks and will tell you that it's from the Civil War. The really sad part is the dealer many times actually believes it.

Well, it sure looks like a Frontier. Where ya at here in Orygun? There are a few of us here and one of us might be close enough to give you hand.

I have one in .45 that looks exactly like that. I ordered it in kit form from TOW in 78. I ordered a Mountain rifle and that is what the box said. No patch box, 1 wedge, shoots great. Would take several at $100 each. :grin:

The Mountian rifle is a two wedge gun with iron, pewter, and silver furniture. No brass at all. Screw cups are inlet for the lock screws. The barrel is 32 inches, not 28. It has an old style adjustable sight that is period correct. There are no single wedge Mountain rifles. The single wedge gun is the Hawken basically but it had several different names. I have three Hawkens, one original Mountian rifle, a Trapper combo, and a Bobcat 36 right now. I would love a big bore Mountain rifle stock and hardware to put about a 36 inch barrel on!

hawkmoun.jpg

My Frontier rifle has a straight wrist, half-stock, no patch box and a single wedge. Shoots good.
There's one at the local gun shop used for $99.99 right now. Could probly talk 'em down...

Yep. Says;

Connecticut Valley Arms Inc.
Black Powder Only
.50 Cal
Spain
Frontier

And it looks like this,
HPIM0026.jpg

Hope that helps...

i've got the same rifle in .45 and its a tack driver. my son has claimed ownership and shoots the rifle a lot. getting pretty good too. a lot of folks look down their noses at the old cva rifles. too bad, because their missing out on accurate rifles at a bargain price.

Latest posts

Back