• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA percussion conversion to flintlock ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No kit that I am aware of, but if you search the previous posts you will find several threads on the subject. I actually made the conversion part to do a Traditions KY rifle that was percussion. A member of the forum guided me along and helped me a lot.

Use a stainless steel bolt like Harleynut suggested. This is how I did mine.

Attachments

• KY rifle insert 3.jpg
    KY rifle insert 3.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 0
  • KY rifle insert 6.jpg
    KY rifle insert 6.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 0
  • KY rifle insert 1.jpg
    KY rifle insert 1.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 0
I do it all the time in my gunsmith shop and it is extremely easy to do on any muzzleloader that uses a drum that screws into the side of the barrel and has the nipple screwed into it ! The CVA, Traditions, Jukar and a lot of the Spanish made rifles and pistols can be converted ! First, remove the barrel from the stock, then take vise grips and clamp on the drum that is screwed into the side of the barrel and place the barrel in a vise and protect it with a piece of leather , then unscrew the drum from the barrel and set aside . Next, you will need to put in a touch hole liner the size of the drum screw threads. You can order the touch hole liner for under $10.00 from any muzzleloader builders supply online ! I think the cva takes a 6 or 8 mm size ! Screw in the liner all the way flush with the side of the barrel and replace your percussion lock with a flint lock lock ! You can find used cva locks on ebay for $75 to 150.00 ! Or you can get a replacement small maslin style lock for $150 . That is all there is to the conversion ! You can also go to tractor supply and take your drum and measure the threads on their thread gauge and purchase a bolt the same size. Drill a 1/8 inch hole through the end of the bolt all the way past the threads, then cut the threaded portion off about 3/8 inch long , cut a slit across the face of the threads so a screwdriver will fit it, and screw your new made touch hole liner in your barrel! I convert every percussion muzzleloader that I can to flintlock to save on money and make them more reliable !

possible to do a conversion from percussion to flintlock on a CVA frontier carbine???
Sure. Just buy a new lock (for flint). Then do like @webb116054 say's above, it'll all be good.
Just look for a 10.5mm bolt to plug the hole. (then drill,, and tap for either 6 or 8mm) (or just drill and cut a slot)
It's easy,, just like @webb116054 say's.
:confused:

Had the question if it was possible to do a conversion from percussion to flintlock on a CVA frontier carbine??? Maybe they made a kit ? Any information appreciated
Thimk

My Dad did this with a CVA Bobcat he picked up at Walmart about 20 years ago for $69. He bought a CVA factory flint lock and a vent liner somewhere, and it only took a bit of fitting. It’s an easy swap back to percussion - another family member owns the rifle now.

The drum threads on a CVA are M10x1.25mm. You can drill out the M10 bolt like stated above to make it into a vent liner itself or drill and tap it for a separate stainless vent liner. Here is how I did my CVA with a separate 1/4x28 vent liner installed in the M10 bolt. I removed the percussion drum by replacing the M6x1 nipple with a metric bolt to use as a lever. An adjustable wrench on the drum and m6 bolt did not mar up the drum like vise grips do. Been shooting mine for a while now and it works great. This M10 bolt liner fills the whole threaded area in the breech plug and with anti-seize makes it easier to change back to percussion if desired as the threads inside the breech plug are not as subject to corrosion like with a shorter liner. This CVA looks a little different than the Traditions above but is basically the same.

Attachments

• IMG_E2029.JPG
    IMG_E2029.JPG
    318.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
The Gun Works/Muzzleloading Emporium catalog shows the vent liner for about 6 bucks and a CVA/Traditions replacement flintlock for $ 185.00.
One could do the conversion for under 200 bucks.
Unless of course, you wanted to go with a more expensive lock, like a L&R or similar.

Changed mine years ago. I restocked the gun because the stock was broke and used a large Siler lock. Don't remember everything I did it has been many years now but it is totally reliable now. At first I just switched from percussion to a CVA flintlock but the lock was very unreliable and after breaking the stock is when I went to the Siler. Don't remember what I did to switch from percussion to flint but that has always worked fine.

Back