• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA MTN Rifle rear sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mastadonald

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have heard there is "no such thing as a dumb question" but I'll test that theory here. I am trying to raise the rb point of impact by raising the rear sight on a CVA Mtn Rifle. Do I turn the screw clockwise or counter-clockwise? What does one turn of the screw equal on paper? Thanks in advance!

I don't know for sure but pretty sure it is clockwise. You should be able to see it rise when you turn the screw. As far as how much, it's kind of a try and see thing. Turn a little and see where you are at, shoot some more. It's all part of the fun.

Clockwise to raise POI. But you should sight the rifle in at 25 yards with the rear sight down. If it is shooting low there, file the front sight down to gain your POI. Then use the elevation screw to maintain POI at longer distances. I shoot 65 gr. ffg and a .495 ball with .018 patch. That shoots flat at 25 and 50 yards. I add 1/2 clockwise turn to the rear sight to keep it on at 100 yards. That makes up about a 4" drop. That is with my Mtn. rifle and my load. You will really need to do your own experimenting to see what works for you. Adjustable sights can really screw you up more than they can help. I think it is better to learn the appropriate sight holds for varying distances. That will serve one better in real-life shooting scenarios. I only use the sight adjustment when shooting paper targets at the range for competition.

Raise it and shoot it. See where you have gained in POI.
If you are shooting at 50 yds the amount raised on the rear sight will still be a little low at 75 yds.
Best just to get a tight group, then start raising the rear sight to get you in the 10 ring at 75 or 100 yds.

To arrive at your rear or front sight correction, measure the desired change at the target in inches.
Then measure the sight radius in inches.
Multiply thos numbers together.
Then divide that figure by the distance to the target in inches.
That will give you your poi correction in thousanths. Sounds crazy but it works, every time. You would need a caliper.

PD

Back