• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Mountain Rifle Catalog Specs

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I remember correctly my .50 cal mountain rifle is 1in 66 twist. It doesn't say "made in USA" or Spain on the barrel. :)

A good friend of mine has a .50 Cal Mountain Rifle that belonged to his Grandfather, I don’t believe his Say’s anything about “Made in” either? His has the 2 Screw Patch Box, And Round Thimbles

Were the CVA's a patented breech barrel? And were the .54 & .58 cal ever made in flintlock? A lot of good things said, I may have to look for one. I'm kinda partial to big bores though.

Thank you Gentlemen, but speculation without basic research add's nothing to the topic.
A good friend of mine has a .50 Cal Mountain Rifle that belonged to his Grandfather, I don’t believe his Say’s anything about “Made in” either? His has the 2 Screw Patch Box, And Round Thimbles

I just recieved a Txt back from this Friend to Confirm, My post above is CORRECT. His Rifle does NOT have anything about where it’s made on the Barrel

The CVA Mountain rifles and Traditions rifles have what may be called a chambered breech. The drum is threaded into and through the breech plug and then the drum is drilled in place in the breech plug to access the flash channel to the powder chamber. The powder charge chamber is smaller in diameter than the bore diameter. In generic terms it is a form of patent breech.

That assembly method is why CVA and Traditions void all warranties if the breech plug has been removed.

Thank you necchi. You are correct I didn't double check the info I posted
the other day. But now I have, as has been posted earlier the Mtn rifle is 1in 66 twist. I was not speculating on what was stamped on both of my Mtn rifle barrels. They both say Connecticut Valley Arms Inc. Over Black Powder Only. The only other marking is the serial number and yes I took the barrel off to look underneath. This does not mean they were made in the USA only that they are not marked. What you say in an earlier post that they were made in Spain and shipped here unbreeched sounds plausible. Do you have any proof of are you just speculating?

My two barrels are 0088xxx with octagon thimble and 2 screw patchbox, and 0097xxx with round thimbles and 4 screw patchbox. Neither gun has the original ramrod and both buttplates are browned steel. It seems both are transitional rifles.
SmokepoleSam

Mine is a kit gun. 45cal 00779XX No "Made in" mark. German silver 4 screw patchbox, wedge plates, and front sight. Pewter ends on ramrod. Pewter nosecap. Hex thimbles. Steel buttplate as I recall came coated in a dried oil-like substance which I sanded off and then browned it when I browned the barrel and other iron parts. I built it good enough to shoot at the time.

Here I am 42-43 years later trying to improve it. Sanding down the stock for a better fit. Sanding metal parts as I think best. I like the deep brown look on the barrel. But could have taken better care of it over the years. I may do something there and re-brown it. Got a new R&L lock to fit to the stock. Debating if I should brown the new lock.

Look for proof marks on the barrel. Simple enough. A factory finished Spanish barrel will have Spanish proofs. Kit guns might not have them. USA guns probably would not have them.

Regardless of where made, the gun was a far better round ball shooter than some other made in USA brands.

I own two 50 caliber Mtn. rifles, one with a four screw patchbox and douglas barrel, and one with a two screw patchbox and Spanish barrel .both are 1 in 66 and both are accurate roundball shooters.

Do you have any proof of are you just speculating?
Valid question. Like everyone else, I can provide no documented "proof". It's sad but he "proof" of it ,, the actual documents landed in a dumpster when CVA changed location in the early 80's.
The whole thing was a European taxation issue and not one of USA import,, so it never made news,, it was never an issue, it just "changed".
My shares are based on the personal conversations I've had with now deceased operators of Deer Creek and CVA.
No one can prove it,(those folks and the records are all gone) that is why the legend/myth and mystery of the MR persists.
Thanks for asking, :)

I have a few old CVA Catelogues here on my desk.
1979, 1982 and 1984.

1979 says the BIG Bore MR is new. 1 inch 54 or 58 inch barrel (perc only) Is says an American Maple stock, but nothing about US made parts. The big bore had no patch box.

Likewise the 1982 cat says nothing about American made. Stocks are now "select hardwood" The Mountain pistol is in this cat.

the 1984 also says nothing about American made. the rifle was apparently no longer offerred in 45 cal. and the finished big bore only came in 54 cal, although a 58 kit was offerred.
(the CVA shotgun and blunderbuss were new that year as were the Pioneer pistol in 32 and the prospector pistol in 44 cal.)
All three cats says the finished gun comes with a browned steel barrel.

If someone wants to put together a reference site, I would scan my catelogues and e-mail them. Same for my 1979 Navy Arms cat and TC Cat nos 4 and 11. I think such a reference site would be of alot of help to folks.

I have a CVA shotgun with manual dated 1983. So they were before 1984 FYI

Last edited:
I have a CVA shotgun with manual dated 1983. So they were before 1884. FYI
Which shotgun? the early single barrel or the double barrel that came later or the single barrel that came even after that.? The 1979 catalog says the Mountain rifle in 54 and 58 is new. Just supplying what I have. The CVA Hawken was available with a 12 ga barrel one or two years IIRC. the Spanish made Zouave they sold early 1971, had a 20 ga barrel available. But I don't think the 20 ga Zouave barrel was ever listed in a catalog.

Here we go, the
CVA Mountain Rifle Catalog Specs,
topic is spread even thinner. A travesty.
Sorry Walks Alone. Thank you for passing the torch when you could.

Just checked my .58 CVA Mountain & it's browned & the barrel says Spain the lock is case hardened & the furniture is also browned 1" across the flats 1 in 72" but the bore is a bit small .562" with a .010 " patch. Shoots fine with 130 gr 2f into 1 1/2" from the bench @ 100 yds.

Deer Creek has thousands of CVA parts. They have a welth of information. Their catalog doesn't have parts listed. Only complete guns. The CVA sxs shotguns wete made in the 70's with a wedge pin holding barrel to forend. The later ones 80's thru 2000 and had a bolt thru the bottom of the forend into the barrel.He also said that if a CVA MT rifle says made im the USA, the gun was totally made in the USA. Most of the locks were Spanish The barrels were almost totally made by Douglas. CVA also made a sxs .410
Shotgun
FYI

Latest posts

Back