• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In a pawn shop today and saw a CVA Hawken rifle, caplock, but it looked a little different than the one I had years ago. This was a half-stock 50 caliber, with what looked like a pewter endcap, and the wedgeplates also, I think. The barrel was held by two wedges, not just one. Overall decent shape, some rust inside barrel, didn't look too bad. Wanted a 150 dollars for it, but I didn't know whether it was worth it, so I passed. He wouldn't take a hundred for it. Thinking about buying it anyway if he still has it later next week.
He also had a Miroku 2 piece full-stock rifle percussion, in rough shape. Missing the front sight, good bit of rust. Wanted 100 for it. Way too much in my opinion.

Could of been one of Deer Creek's CVA Mountain / Elk rifle, Ive got a 54 that is really a good one but for that CVA lock. Fred :hatsoff:

The first one is a Mountain rifle. If it is an early one it will have a 1-66" twist and they are a really good shooting rifle. Some of the first ones were made in the U.S. Later ones in Spain. If it is by chance an early Mountain rilfe and is in decent shape it is well worth $150.

Rebel Ive never asked them what was different on the rifles they built useing CVA parts (The Deer Creek and Elk rifles) other than they made the barrels on the old Douglas 1948 rifleing mch (that has made some great H+A barrels the last ? years and the 2 above rifles what would the other things be to look for? Thanks Fred :hatsoff:

swoter said:
In a pawn shop today and saw a CVA Hawken rifle, caplock, but it looked a little different than the one I had years ago. This was a half-stock 50 caliber, with what looked like a pewter endcap, and the wedgeplates also, I think. The barrel was held by two wedges, not just one. Overall decent shape, some rust inside barrel, didn't look too bad. Wanted a 150 dollars for it, but I didn't know whether it was worth it, so I passed. He wouldn't take a hundred for it. Thinking about buying it anyway if he still has it later next week.
He also had a Miroku 2 piece full-stock rifle percussion, in rough shape. Missing the front sight, good bit of rust. Wanted 100 for it. Way too much in my opinion.
Sounds like what you have found might be a CVA Mountain Rifle . . . Look at the barrel markings closely, if it says "CVA made in the USA", it is an older (+/- 30 years) one. If the condition is decent and the bore looks good, it probably is worth the $150, although all he can do is say no to a lower offer. If it is an older Mt rifle, they are good shooters and the barrels are (I have been told) Douglas barrels. I know my .45 CVA Mountain Rifle was $130 two years ago and I felt I got a bargain. Good luck . . .

IF... its a mountain rifle, it will have a 32" barrel and 2 wedge pins holding the barrel down.
There is an early made version with a presumably, Douglas made barrel, it will be marked "made in USA" and have rather large printing.
The spanish version will marked " made in spain".
While the usa made is more desirable, I would not shy the least from the later version. These are typically great shooters and fairly desirable.

Mine is a douglas barreled model, not real pretty but shoots far better than my eyes are capable.
Barrel will probly clean up for you. 150 plews is not a bad price in my opinion!

the 32 inch barrel and crude looking pewter nose cap are tell tale signs of the Mt rifle.

Brett

I "think" it was marked made in USA, but not positive. Won't be able to get back there until Wednesday or Thursday, but if he still has it, I'll buy it, now that I know what it is.

Back