• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Got a pile of parts need help identifying

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idrod81

32 Cal
Reaction score
Was at local gun/pawn shop about a week ago and noticed he had a bucket of muzzleloader parts with 2 stocks and 1 barrel on his work bench. When I asked him how much he wanted for them
he said if I wanted them he would help me carry them to my truck. I could not pass up the deal! When I got them home discovered, I had a complete Cabela's Hawken minus the barrel and a unknown
to me muzzleloader kit. I need help identifying the kit
muzzleloader.jpg
Barrel.jpg

Was at local gun/pawn shop about a week ago and noticed he had a bucket of muzzleloader parts with 2 stocks and 1 barrel on his work bench. When I asked him how much he wanted for them
he said if I wanted them he would help me carry them to my truck. I could not pass up the deal! When I got them home discovered, I had a complete Cabela's Hawken minus the barrel and a unknown
to me muzzleloader kit. I need help identifying the kitView attachment 223463View attachment 223464
Say that was Italian copied stuff perdosoli

It appears you have a nearly complete pre carve Hawken rifle kit.

Are you a gun builder? If not I will buy it

Mule
No not a builder, I had a TC Hawken barrel that I am putting on the other one. Have been trying to decide if I want to try to to dive into building one.

As @Eric Krewson notes, you have a Green mountain barrel with a snailed chambered breech. I suspect that the lock is a reasonably good percussion lock. Can it be removed to identify the lock maker? Any identification on the trigger bar? It's long just as it should be. That's a great collection of parts.

A Hawken is not a good choice as a first attempt at building a parts set. Inletting the breech area is difficult and not intuitive. There is a lot going on simultaneously. IF the breech area is already done, and the barrel is inletted, then OK.

I went through two precarves before I gave up and built from a plank on my Hawken. A precarve hawken with a pre-inletted lock is about as sketchy as it gets.

My guess is a Track parts set. The wedge escutcheons being pre cut means something to someone. They are all parts bundlers, nobody actually manufactures the parts in house.

Hopefully someone makes a nice rifle out of it.

Last edited:
As @Eric Krewson notes, you have a Green mountain barrel with a snailed chambered breech. I suspect that the lock is a reasonably good percussion lock. Can it be removed to identify the lock maker? Any identification on the trigger bar? It's long just as it should be. That's a great collection of parts.
I just laid the pieces in to see what I had, both rifles were completely apart, other than the barrel I did not see any identifying marks.

I appreciate the help with this. It does look like a Track kit. The lock and trigger made by L & R. I have ordered a copy of Recreating the American Longrifle
and will start browsing thru the builders forum to see if it is something I want to do. At this point I have nothing to lose except time.

One would think that as simple and plain as a Hawken Plains rifle or some of the other large bored plains rifles appear, that they would be easy to build from a kit. That is the triumph of the Hawken Plains Rifle architecture. The lines suggest simplicity, but achieving that simple contour is anything but simple. This is especially true around the lock and the wrist. To make the transition from the large cross section of a tapered barrel to a wrist that can be held securely and comfortably for accurate shooting is no easy matter as @Mulebrain has observed. The taper of the barrel makes a natural lead to wide wrist. The lock and the lock mortise has to be fit to taper opposite from the taper of the barrel and still fit to the nipple seat on the breech. And with all that, the entire rifle has to appear elegant and simple in appearance.

A half stock S. Hawken rifle is not an easy build.

Thanks Mulebrain that is a beautiful rifle. I have most everything to do it with but am looking for a better set of wood chisels.

If your gonna build the hawken, make sure you have all the parts. You will need a drill press, soldering stuff, and many other wood tools.

Here is one I just completed, and I am by far from a pro. Getting all the parts to fit properly is no easy task

View attachment 223991
Nice looking Hawken. I'm building a full stock just like it.

Back