• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Hawken With Primitive Sights...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

270WSMANIC

36 Cal.
Reaction score
And early stage cateracts, at least thats what my va doctor tells me. My right(dominate) eye down to 20/40, left eye down to 20/30. Way to early for sugery so must find a way to deal with it.
At the range 1 or 1.25 reading do the trick. Since I am using ghost ring rear sight i'm ok there but the bead front is fuzzy without the glasses. With the glasses all is clear eccept target dot is a bit fuzzy.
I'm thinking for hunting if range is longer then 50yds or so I may need to have the glasses with me to put on before shooting.
I'm thinking maybe a wide blade front site might let me shoot accuratly without glasses.
Any of you all been through or are going the the cateract pain in the #%^^@, and how did/do you deal with it?

The ghost ring doesn't do much to improve the downrange view of the front sight but if you can find a slightly smaller aperture peep sight it will help a lot.

Yes, they cut down on the available light and field of view but the image will be sharper.

If you do have cataracts eventually even the peep sight won't help much.

I know that after thing progressed, I would get the image of three front sights to use to aim with so I used the sharpest looking one :grin:

About this time I went to an eye doctor and he told me the problem was cataracts and told me to see my prime care doctor.

My PCP looked into my eyeballs and said, "Well, I can't see in so you must be having a hell of a time seeing out! You have cataracts."

He set me up for surgery and thankfully my insurance covered it.

I now have to wear reading glasses for up close things but my vision at distances is nearly normal.

Thanks for the reply Zonie,Going to have another look to see if I can find the screw in inserts for the peep sight. I thought the sight I have was a Lymen but after just checking their web site I could find none that looked like mine. I was going to see if I could order new inserts. Now guess I'll see if I can figger out what brand I have.If nessary will post a pix here.
I know that years ago I put the insert in a safe place where I would always know where it was. :cursing:

Yep had the problem. Had both eyes fixed. Now all I can say is wow??? I didn't know what I was not seeing. I couldn't see a standard target at 100yards. Lets say I could see the outline but nothing else. Now I can see the little 1" red dot X ring on the target. It took about a month to get both eyes done. Not cheap but well worth it. You will not believe the brilliant colors after having it done.
Doc. said I went from 20/275 to 20/20
Fox :thumbsup:
Fox :thumbsup:

Hi, don't know if this will help any but I have been having trouble because of type 2 diabetes affecting my vision. Not continually but more than not. It gets so bad at times I can't even read the large letter guide writing on a TV 10 feet away.
So I've taken to painting the wide front blade with phos. Paint and leave the rear black and it helps greatly, except it doesn't help me see the target any clearer. I have also purchased the new fluorescent fiber optic type that work on daylight and get nice and bright with two colors, one front sight one one the rear so I'm looking through two green in rear with one red in front or what ever seems best to you personally. Back in basic training 40 some odd years ago, I only missed one shot in the entire course of training, and it was an M-16A1 at 500 yds. With extreme high winds and silhouettes that were not dependable to drop all the time, and they didn't even care. I realize that there was a bit of luck involved, but I was a good shot, I grew up hunting from an early age. They said there was only one person that ever beat my record and he hit every shot. Just one more BULLET, one shot, one more silhouette dropped for him. I was heart broken, but hey what can you say?? Ray

I had a simmiler experince in basic training 41 years ago. We were zeroing are m-16s at I believe 15 meeters, mine was throwing shots all over the place. The sergent came by and said smatter Moats you never fire a weapon before? Now I knew better then to talk back to the sergents but I could'nt help but let him know I was from WV and had started shooting and hunting at around age 6, and there was a problem with that rifle. He snatched the rifle out om my hands and took it away. He came back in a bit and said here Moats, I said is that the same rifle. He said no the other had some problems. After zeroing the weapon I went on to fire expert rifleman and I don't remember missing a single target the furthest I believe being 350mtrs. Sometimes it pays to talk back even in the army. :wink: The experence also changed my initial impression of the m-16, which had been ( you can tell its Matell it swell).

270wsmaniac said:
... and I don't remember missing a single target the furthest I believe being 350mtrs. ...
When I shot qualification in '67 and '69, we shot out to 450m (with the 350m zero, hold with the head on top of the front sight and hit center of mass).

Regards,
Joel

Its possible we shot 450m, to far back for me to remember for sure. This was at Ft. Dix NJ.

I tried one of these. It seemed to work well - but I was able to duplicate the effect with a hole punched through a piece of black electical tape, stuck to my glasses!

MERIT OPTICAL ATTACHMENTS
How would you like to be able to see the front and rear sights of your gun and your target, sharply
and clearly all at the same time!?

Well, you could invest in a set of the very good (and expensive) Champion or Knobloch shooting glasses or you could consider a Merit optical attachment...
Now Merit corporation have been around since 1934 and have developed a simple and economical way to make your shooting a whole lot more accurate, competitive and fun!
Now I won't go into the deep dark technicalities of how it works (it allows you to adjust the "focal length" of your shooting eye) but let me give you a layman's review of the product.

The Merit optical attachment and it's instructions comes in a 'nifty' little plastic box about 3cm square, 1 inch in the old money.
On examination, the merit appears to be a solid little device of good quality and simple design.
To use it, one merely moistens the suction cup and presses it onto your glasses. Adjustment of the iris shutter is achieved by turning the knurled ring to the left or right until your sight picture is sharp and in focus. Easy!
I first tried some slow fire with my Pardini SP and found the results to be very satisfying the Merit did what it was supposed to do, the target and sights were all in clear, sharp focus despite my 52 year old eyes!
I attached a Tasco "Propoint" and found I had a crisp, bright dot and image in the tube.
Merit Website -optical attachment
Yes, it really did give a well-defined black target disk and in-focus sights. Seeing last time I competed I couldnt see the 50m bull at all, but shot for the change in colour where the yellow-white base of the target contrasted with the white backstop sand, I have to become better at remembering to use it!

The same page gives a link to the Merit Target Disk, which appears to be an iris rear peep insert!

Have little doubt these devices work and work well. I assume though that in hunting situations which often include low light that might be a drawback. Also I don't wear glasses eccept for up close, although that may change soon. :cursing:
I guess if worst comes to worse I can always rig a scope to my old sidehammer, I know if I have to take that step might as well go to one of those (unmentionables). :barf:

270wsmaniac said:
I had a simmiler experince in basic training 41 years ago. We were zeroing are m-16s at I believe 15 meeters, mine was throwing shots all over the place. The sergent came by and said smatter Moats you never fire a weapon before? Now I knew better then to talk back to the sergents but I could'nt help but let him know I was from WV and had started shooting and hunting at around age 6, and there was a problem with that rifle. He snatched the rifle out om my hands and took it away. He came back in a bit and said here Moats, I said is that the same rifle. He said no the other had some problems. After zeroing the weapon I went on to fire expert rifleman and I don't remember missing a single target the furthest I believe being 350mtrs. Sometimes it pays to talk back even in the army. :wink: The experence also changed my initial impression of the m-16, which had been ( you can tell its Matell it swell).

Apologies for getting off-topic, but”¦.
Love your initial impression of the M-16, ”˜cause mine was exactly the same.
As a kid, I had a Mattel bazooka that fired a rubber projectile by way of a big spring. When you shot it, the spring made a very distinctive sound.
With the ear protectors we wore at the range, the most distinctive sound was the SPRONG of the recoil reducer in the butt stock. It sounded exactly like the bazooka I’d had as a kid.

Latest posts

Back