• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Poor man’s peep sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob K

36 Cl.
Reaction score
A while back I recall reading about a simple but effective peep sight that MAILEMAKER wrote about. At my age I’m having more and more trouble lining up the rear sight, front sight and target. The target seems washed out. What do I have to loose? This past week I made the poor man’s peep and went to the range and WOW what a difference. Clear as a bell I could line up the three points effectively. I made the peep sight out of black tape; using electrical tape I punched out 5/8” circles, in the center of the circle I punched our a 1/8” circle. I’m right handed so I put the peep sight on the right eye of my range glasses and a hole new world opened up. And, nobody ask me what that was on my glasses - win-win. Thanks to MAILEMAKER…..

Good 'un.
That trick has been around at least for 30 years since I learned it back in the early 1990's. Some chunkgun shooters use it.
There is also the Merit adjustable aperture sight. It has a little suction cup to attach it to your eyeglasses. The aperture can be turned to adjust the size of the peep hole. It works on the same principle as the piece of tape with the hole it. Of course, the tape is cheaper. ():~)
These things don't work for everyone, however. I'm one who never got any benefit from it.

Bobk.........'bout three years ago , my eyes got so bad , I cobbled up a tang mounted peep sight to go on a new lighter .50 cal. longrifle , I built for myself to hunt deer with. The peep sight allowed me to eliminate the rear sight altogether , using my standard vertical blade front sight. I found that the target was in focus , as well. Now I'm back to shooting 4 " groups at 50 yds. , off the bench. At 76 yrs. old , this miracle has me back to the range , and in the deer season ladder stand w/my flinter again. I recommend peep sights. ........oldwood

God bless you guys for figuring it out and finding the means. I could never use peeps in my younger years but after reading here and running out of options for my aging eyes I bought some Lyman peeps for my Deerstalker and GPH. It was a revelation. Groups are now consistently smaller. The nice thing about aperture sighting is that you can use gun sights or optical attachments. Another improvement is working with the front sight to get the optimum look with your new rear sight. Many options.

Back