• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cva Hawken pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1dogdown

40 Cal
Reaction score
Who would like to share any and all info on this pistol?Accuracy how it stacks up to a Trapper,Great Plains and Patriot.Biggest concern is accuracy tho.Seeing it will be solely a paper puncher.Chime in please.
IeDaW2k.jpg

Last edited:
i had one many moons ago when C.V.A. was a youngster. It was a kit. I liked it very well. How it holds with the other pistols is more up to the operator than the machine, however I do like the stock and grip on the patriot, but that would be my only preference if I had a choice.

how it stacks up to a Trapper, Great Lyman Plains and Patriot.
The biggest difference is the shape of the grip and how it feels in an individuals hand, the Trapper and Patriot are a little larger and the Lyman is a little longer(in grip).
It's all about feel, balance and comfort in hand. And ya won't know until ya handle the others.
Caliber is a change up also, with the Patriot only in 36 or 45, the Lyman in 50 and 54 and the CVA/Traditions being only in 50 (IIRC?)
( I don't think the spanish hawkin or trapper was in 45(?) I might be wrong)
Sure ya have the deal of single or double set triggers but that's really kind of mute when you consider the Spanish models trigger break is adjustable with a screw in the lock tumbler.
What you have is definitely the low end of the 4 you list, the spanish locks use stamped parts and need a little tuning for a smooth action and those drum breeches do require specific care to be reliable, (all that info is already available here on the forum in several back topics that can be found)

Accuracy?,
I don't think any of them holds an edge over the other. The accuracy is all about proper load development for each gun and then practice of the shooter. I've seen that time and again and proven it to myself.
A GPR, a TC or even a lowley Jukar 45 can out-shoot a $2k custom gun.

IMG_0982.JPG

A very nice pistol, with good balance. There are others that are more expensive or with fancy engraving or other fancy findings but the best pistol will be the one you learn to shoot with. This is one of three similar in .45,.50, and a special .54. My CVA pistol collection includes many of CVA's pistols, I like both the Hawken and the mountain pistols best. But tis all a personal taste.

I normally prefer more traditional designs, but I like this model of pistol. I have a couple of older CVA rifles that I like very much. They are solid, accurate shooters. The adjustable rear sight and "finger hook" trigger guard should help make the CVA Hawken pistol a good target shooter.

I don't own a Trapper or a Patriot, but I do have a Lyman Plains Pistol. The lock, barrel, and trigger are great, and it is a very solid pistol. The OEM sights on the Plains Pistol are terrible, but can be replaced. The grip has all the ergonomics of a cane handle, with an almost perfectly round cross-section. For me, the trigger reach is too long and I have difficulty achieving a repeatable hand position. However, I know a lot of people love the Plains Pistol, and shoot it very well.

It would be great if Pecatonica would develop a replacement stock for the Lyman Plains Pistol, with nicer wood and a better grip.

Regarding the pistols in the photos in posts #1 and 4, above, I see some differences. The forend in the first one appears to have been shortened... There is a gap between the end of the rib and the nosecap, and the nosecap is closer to the wedge escutcheon than on the second pistol, and it looks like it is made of brass. It may just be he light and reflection, but the second pistol seems to have the nosecap and wedge escutcheons made of white metal(s). The ramrod pipe also looks shorter on the first pistol. However, none of those points should affect its shootability.

I'll be interested in comments made by others.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Bob,
Many, many of those where "kit's". Inexpensive and bought as gifts by doting relatives hoping to spark an interest in young folks, or by folks just wanting to "wet their feet" in the hobby of "building" a gun and/or a "let's fix'er up" refurbishing of guns.
The tell-tale clue is always the lock panels. The factory and the kit gun's had relatively well defined lines for the panels on both sides.
But the common thing for folks to do is sanding the wood down for the primary and top coat finish,, they wanna make the wood look good.
Some even try carving,, but it's always about the wood, not the fit of the pieces to the wood. The shape of the panel doesn't matter as long as it's smooth enough to get a good layer of polyurethane varnish,, the wood will look good.
I never occurs to many to "file the brass", it's metal!!

Back