• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA cannon?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George

Cannon
Reaction score
I have a model cannon which I believe is of the type called a Napoleon. As I recall it was made by CVA, but it has been so long since I built the kit, probably more than 30 years, I am no longer sure. Can anyone identify this cannon? Barrel length is 14", wheel diameter is 11", caliber is .69, and it is a firing cannon, not for display only.

CVA_cannonA.jpg

Spence

Spence, I have the twin brother to your cannon. I can't answer your question as I got mine used, many years ago. Dixie has them listed in their catalog, but not identified as to maker. Their price (as of my latest 6 year old catalog) is $540.00.

I forgot to add that mine has the 2 ammo boxes, one on either side of the barrel over the axle. I don't see that in your photo or the catalog. Maybe an earlier model?

mazo kid said:
I forgot to add that mine has the 2 ammo boxes, one on either side of the barrel over the axle. I don't see that in your photo or the catalog. Maybe an earlier model?
It's just the angle of the picture, there are 2 ammo boxes.

CVA_cannonB2.jpg

Do you shoot yours? I haven't for several years, but I had a lot of fun with it in the early days. I would take it to the country where there is a safe backdrop and shoot at targets on a clay bank. Even hit one, now and then. It was my go-to noise maker on New Year's Eve and July 4th, too. Need to get it out and shake up the neighbors again. :)

Spence

OK, that is just like mine. It was in kinda sad shape when I got it, like it had been stored in a damp basement or something. I had to replace a couple of wheel rim segments and clean it up. I would like to paint it in a traditional color, seems I had that info once but can't quite find it now. Maybe have to do a search. I think I have only shot it once or twice; fun piece of artillery! I'm also missing a bore swab, but that won't be hard to make.

I have one of the CVA Old Ironsides kit cannons, and it is fun. I envy you as I really one the Napoleon (being a former Artilleryman), but thanks to the wonderful economy, that is not in the cards for now. Maybe one day I will luck out and find one at a yard sale or something.

Pork Chop: Mine is not a kit, at least I don't think it is. Still haven't fired it, maybe one day soon though.
CVAOldIronsides.jpg

Back