• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

cva barrel makers?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walruskid1

54 Cal.
Reaction score
guys, i know its been hashed and re-hashed before but i just dug my cva frontier out of the safe. the barrel is not marked made in spain or made in usa. all it states is made by cva and black powder only. great shooting .45 that my son uses now. i've had it at least 30 years. barrel douglas or not? i did a search on the forum and couldn't find the info i was looking for. thanks wk1

i agree, it doesn't matter. just wonder what i have. cva, douglas, or somebody elses, it is a tack driver with a .440 and .015 patch with 50 grains 3f goex.

I was wondering the same thing about my Mountain rifle. All the barrel says is Connecticut Valley Arms, Inc, Black Powder Only, .58 Cal., and the serial number.

I would think Douglas WAL, now if you got one from DEER CREEK anytime since CVA sold it's stuff to them it's made on the org 1949 Douglas rifleing mch as have been H+A'a,Mowreys,and the kit guns they sold. Sorry it dont help you much with what yours is. :wink: Fred :hatsoff:

If it's a douglas barrel it will have a 1/4 x 20 thread nipple, If it's Italian made the nipple will probably be 6mm x 1 just my 2cents worth

I believe that any barrel which is made in Italy or Spain must be proofed and the proof mark(s) stamped on the barrel prior to export.
Because your barrel does not have a proof mark, to me it says that it was not made in either of those two countries.
As most other European countries also require some sort of proof markings it would seem that the barrel was not made in those countries as well.
This leaves the United States as the source however, there were as many, if not more barrel makers in the US in the 1960s and 1970s than there are now, and Douglas was only one of the many.
Your barrel could have been made by at least half a dozen companies.

zonie :)

Shoots good, good barrel!
Douglas barrels were put on the first CVA Mountain rifles. The name slips my mind, but the company that does all the obsolete gun parts used to make barrels. Some of their barrels were used supposedly. The Douglas barrels say MADE IN USA on them. They use the CVA pattern breeching. Some folks have reported barrels with flat front breech plugs. I have not seen one of those barrels and I do not know who made them. A friend says he has a convertable CVA that you remove the drum and screw in the vent. That would require a different breech than the normal CVA or some very good gunsmithing for that to work with the CVA pattern. I suspect it is one of the reported flat front plugs also.

Numrich is the name I could not think of that made some CVA barrels supposedly!

" A friend says he has a convertable CVA that you remove the drum and screw in the vent." I belive Deer Creekmade up some of those, and it's called "GUN PART's" now. Fred :hatsoff:

I own two myself, one a kit gun and one production. Both have barrels made in Spain. They are also both from the earlier 90's.

A sure way to tell, is to post pics of the muzzle, and of the writing on the barrel.

I agree, that these are great shooting shorter barreled guns :thumbsup:

When I talked to an older gent that had been an employee at CVA for many years on the phone a few years ago, he told me the same as what Runner said: early CVA MR's had Douglas barrels and they could be identified by the MADE IN USA on them. My early 45 MR's barrel has it.

Don't know about Numerich making barrels for CVA, but they did make barrels that fit TC's. I have a switch barrel, switch lock TC Hawken (built by DF Everett) with a TC 50 capper, a Green Mountain 36 capper and a Numerich 45 flinter barrel for it.

FWIW

aren't all items imported into the U.S. sapposed to have the country of manufacture stamped in the piece-? ie: made in spain, made in germany, ect.
and hasn't this been a law since the 50's-?

Dave

walruskid1 have you looked on the under side of the barrel at the breech end my italian made ranson gun does not show any thing on the top of the barrel but does on the under side of the barrel,heres a pic of my barrel.
bernie :thumbsup:
100_4734.jpg

I now have two CVA mountain rifles - one that I just bought. It is a .50 cal and has MADE IN USA and a low serial# 0016XX. The other is a .58 cal (now) - started as a .54 and has a high serial number with no maker identified other than CVA - the steel is rather soft and I believe it's a Spaniard.

The newer rifle's hammer is a bit bigger and the cup on the end of it is deeper than the older rifle's. The older one has a patchbox too which the newer one lacks.

Hope that helps some.

Latest posts

Back