• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Curly walnut Browning mountain rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just FYI since we’re on the topic.
20F47911-4653-45C1-ACB9-29F7020D9D56.jpeg

Found box & manual to mine. Notation was "DLX WOOD". They came in .45,.50, .54. Choice of brass or browned steel. Warden at penitentiary and I ordered at same time, both browned steel. Original wood was pretty plain walnut, nothing close to the Centennial model. Stock cracked after about ten years hard use. Browning would not replace under warranty. Mainspring broke. By then, Browning had no spare parts. Replacement mainspring broke first time I cocked it. Ordered two more mainsprings and replacement side plate. Third mainspring broke also. Put fourth one in and traded it for a 12 ga. flint fowler.

May have been the most accurate out-of-the box M/L I ever owned. Robust rifling.

I've got an old hum era Marlin cottridge gun that has some curl in it. Not much but about half of the stock.
The OPs got the pick of the litter, I would say.

@Cherrybow and @52Bore ,

You guys both have beautiful, outstanding rifles. Cherrybow, I have never seen one with figure like yours before.

I noted the comments about broken springs and difficulty getting parts. If the L&R Lock people want to really make some people happy, they should add a JBMR lock to their line of replacement locks for obsolete factory-made guns.

Thanks for sharing pictures of those rifles, fellers!

Notchy Bob

Last edited:
@Cherrybow and @52Bore ,

You guys both have beautiful, outstanding rifles. Cherrybow, I have never seen one with figure like yours before.

I noted the comments about broken springs and difficulty getting parts. If the L&R Lock people want to really make some people happy, they should add a JBMR lock to their line of replacement locks for obsolete factory-made guns.

Thanks for sharing pictures of thos rifles, fellers!

Notchy Bob
As always, your comments are much appreciated Notchy Bob. I actually had been holding off on buying this rifle for better than a year because of the issues with unavailable parts and the history of breaking. That is the Biggest reason I hesitate to put it to use. A used rifle is more valuable than a broken one and of course one like new is even more desirable. It would be nice if LR would make a replacement lock with the ability to attach the Browning bust on it!

. . . . .I noted the comments about broken springs and difficulty getting parts. If the L&R Lock people want to really make some people happy, they should add a JBMR lock to their line of replacement locks for obsolete factory-made guns.

. . . .Or, at least make some replacement springs for these locks.

If Browning only made 1000 of each of these rifles , for world wide distribution , it would hardly be economic to make new locks , but a spring could made by a competent smith .

Beretta use laser marking to enhance the stripes on their less expensive firearms ,but that technology wasn't invented when those rifles were made , and hand striping 1000 stocks would add considerably to the cost . Also Browning have plenty of walnut in stock at any one time .

I have been thinking about who made these guns . Miroku make firearms for Browning , labeled Browning no Miroku marks , so I wonder ?
I just did a google search on Miroku Muzzle loaders and had no Idea they made so many , I worked for the NZ agent for 5 years and never knew
Do they have a single set trigger ? .

Last edited:
Back