• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cross Sticks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cruzatte

50 Cal.
Reaction score
For a very long time, I have wanted a pair of cross sticks. But I really didn't want to use a modern, zinc plated bolt, washer, and wing nut. I thought of using a wood pin made from a piece of broken ramrod, or a dowel of suitable diameter. But ended up rejecting that idea too. I thought there must be a knot that an old-timer might know whereby he could cross two sticks together and have a usable, reasonably stable shooting prop. I found this on Youtube, (of course!) and submit it for your interest.
[youtube]cN5FSYJvP9k[/youtube]

Of course you can substitute hemp rope for the video maker's modern orange nylon cord. And you don't have to stain your sticks if you don't want to. The knot works. At least it has so far in my limited testing. I will test it out under range conditions very soon.

Two sticks fastened like that is a lashing for a cross fastening. When three sticks are lashed together you have the tripod configuration.

Thanks for reminding us of a traditional lashing for cross sticks.

I use a single, head high walking staff.If I need it as a rifle rest I just grip it at the correct height and lay the rifle across where my hand is gripping the stick.Less to carry and doubles as a staff.Tripod is your two feet and the Staff.Just what floats my stick,no pun intended.

Vomir le Chien said:
I use a single, head high walking staff.If I need it as a rifle rest I just grip it at the correct height and lay the rifle across where my hand is gripping the stick.Less to carry and doubles as a staff.Tripod is your two feet and the Staff.Just what floats my stick,no pun intended.
I tried that once. Never really got the hang of it, I guess. I've even taken the ramrod out of the thimbles, crossed it with a wiping stick of the same diameter, held both sticks crossed in my off hand, parked the barrel of my rifle in the V, and fired. But again, I thought I could do better a different way.

I've even taken the ramrod out of the thimbles, crossed it with a wiping stick of the same diameter, held both sticks crossed in my off hand, parked the barrel of my rifle in the V, and fired. But again, I thought I could do better a different way.

I wouldn't do that unless the injuns were chasing me. Using yer ram rod/wiping sticks for a rest will pick up dirt and grit from the ground and possibly get into the bore of your rifle. Plus, a 3/8" rod isn't really stout enough for that kind of use.

I forgot my sticks on my son's antelope hunt. I stopped and picked up some willow sticks and tied them together like the video. You can see them laying on the antelope.

Jacobshunt07.jpg

These are the cross sticks I made for me. I made a second set for my son and gave them to him for Christmas last year.

https://youtu.be/AZNvWYoDENQ

I like those sticks you made; I even think I could make a pair. Thanks for sharing the video.

Rifleman1776 said:
I've even taken the ramrod out of the thimbles, crossed it with a wiping stick of the same diameter, held both sticks crossed in my off hand, parked the barrel of my rifle in the V, and fired. But again, I thought I could do better a different way.

I wouldn't do that unless the injuns were chasing me. Using yer ram rod/wiping sticks for a rest will pick up dirt and grit from the ground and possibly get into the bore of your rifle. Plus, a 3/8" rod isn't really stout enough for that kind of use.
Yup. Hence the last sentence.
I thought I could do better a different way.

I have a pair of 1/2" oak dowels I use with two adjoining leather fingers cut from a leather glove as the hinge point for woodchuck shooting. Because of local terrain I have to be able to slide the cross point up and down to accommodate shooting.

Stumpkiller said:
I have a pair of 1/2" oak dowels I use with two adjoining leather fingers cut from a leather glove as the hinge point for woodchuck shooting. Because of local terrain I have to be able to slide the cross point up and down to accommodate shooting.

Photo :hmm: ?

These are 36" long 1/2" oak dowels. The tips I drilled back 1" and set nails (with the heads cut off) to poke into the soil. The glove bit is mostly to protect the finish on the forearm of the rifle. Under that is a loose whipping I can slide up or down easily.

DSCN1936_zpsrmgdfqjh.jpg

DSCN1937_zpsmmetr4cw.jpg

DSCN1938_zps4uc3b0f9.jpg

Back