• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

crafts / work for ladies

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GJP

36 Cal.
Reaction score
We recently had some new additions to out reenacting group. Most are women and they keep asking me what they can do around camp. I'm starting to run out of ideas. I'm interested if anyone could tell me about a craft, or something useful for around the home, that's not too hard to make. Maybe things like brooms, baskets, braided rugs, stuff like that.I've got three little boys so I have'nt been doing a whole lot with the unit lately and I feel like I'm letting these new girls out on a limb.
Thanks - Mrs Jerry P

Set up a tent and have them roll cartridges. Women did that in the arsenals of the North & South.

Knitting was big then as well as sewing. Remember that all clothing was hand sewed and hand mended. People seldom sat around not doing anything.

Soap making, candle making (especially for kids), cooking (dutch oven of course). The latter, with all its preparatory work, it very time consuming and darn if it isn't authentic and rewarding to the stomach.

I've always been afraid to try making clothing. I have a few dolls I've dressed, but they don't look so good! :redface:
My sons love to help me cook, not to mention how much time we can take up by peeling and chopping things.
I did a little surfing today and found great instructions for making corn husk dolls. There are quite a few kids in the unit that will get a kick out of those.
I ran into a guy at the PA fasrmshow yesterday that was making brooms on 1870's equiptment. He showed me a few quick tricks to try for myself. I had grown some "broom corn" last year, but didn't get around to accually usuing it. I will have to re-order the same seed this year and try again.
How do you go about soap and candle making? I'd like to be able to learn as many things as possible, I'm not the kind of girl that likes to sit around and fan herself. :grin:
When the boys get older, I'll let them bring along some of our "livestock", then we can cook it for dinner. Nothing more PC than that!
Thanks for all of you help - Keep it coming!
Mrs Jerry P

What period are you reenacting?

Fiber arts will cover about any time period, but will vary some by time frame. By fiber arts I mean everything from spinning (wheel or drop spindle), weaving or knitting, sewing (making some cloth draw-string bags), Making sewing kits ('housewife') for soldiers--particularly during the CW. Dying fabric...and all that's just the fiber arts.

Sparks

We do 1860's(CW) time period. We had our monthly meeting today and I asked some other girls what they thought of the ideas I had gotten. There seems to be a good amount of interest. We don't like to sit around while the guys have all of the fun. Also, there seems to be a lot of familes that come to our events and the women and children really get interested in the "home life" senerios. I'd love to find a spinning wheel, but I don't know where to look( anyone know where?). I'm sure they cost an awful lot of money! Thanks for the ideas, I'll have to do some more research to see which ones I can handle. Mrs Jerry P

Why not google ' spinning wheels", and see what you find. I know I have seen plans for making them in Dixie GunWork's Catalog, and they probably show up in other catalogues, too. There are lots of spinners, and weavers around this country, so there should be plenty of information on the net. If you follow farm auctions, occasionally a spinning wheel comes up for sale. Depending on how complete it is, and whether there is any provenance, the price can be reasonable or very pricey. Often the working head is lost or broken. But, there are spinning wheels sold at antique sales, and auctions, all the time. I have seen several go for very reasonable prices, considering how old they are, and the fact that they are still working wheels.

The same goes for weaver's looms. Depending on what you want to tackle, they can be easily made. Again, google Looms or Weaver's looms, to find out what is available. And, anytime you attend a re-enactment, or pioneer history village, where a spinner or weaver, talk to the people involved on how to get started. They are always thrilled that someone new wants to get involved. In this day of instant gratification, most people have the attention span of a gnat!, and don't have any interest learning to do something that takes time to master a skill, and then more time to do well.

Hi,
I you will find spinning wheels on ebay, there are several places that sell used spinning wheels as well.. the trick will be to find one in your price range that doesnt have modern parts, you will be looking at a few hundred dollars at least plus supplies to do it....there are a few type out there that still use leather mostly...
Before spending much money on that kind of stuff, I would find a place and take some lessons on spinning...and see if its what you would enjoy doing... I love to spin but some dont....
I would keep things simple in camp... some basket weaving, inkle or card weaving would be good...as well as the sewing, knitting, and embroidery I think they did alot of back then, dutch oven cooking is a great thing.. ... I would leave the soapmaking and probably candlemaking as something to try out at home. I make soap all the time and would not do it at camp...especially with kiddos around...just some thoughts...

And afterthought: I have longed believed that women can do most anything that men can do, that means to shoot, throw hawks and knives etc. There is absolutely no reason for any woman, young or old, to simply engage in crafts that were traditionally done by women, JUST BECAUSE YOU ARE A WOMAN! If you want to build gun, BUILD GUNS. If you want to make powder horns, MAKE POWDER HORNS. If you want to forge knives, and axes, and other tools, THEN LEARN TO BE A BLACKSMITH AND FORGE THOSE THINGS.

Now, if you are participating in a historical re-enactment encampment, you probably want to do " Women's work " for those events. But there is nothing wrong with women doing anything the men do. And, if the men start to grumble because you are a better shot, just stick your tongue out at them and smile. They are either jealous, or wish their SO could shoot as well as you. Same with other women. Please! Women's Lib hit here 35 years ago. Its about time that women start thinking like they are truly liberated.

Smart man you are :thumbsup: I agree wholeheartedly. I love to walk the trails and shoot, we often do this as a family, I built my own rifle a couple of years ago, it is beautiful.I can throw a hawk and knife, sometimes very well lol.

I also love the old arts ..spinning, weaving, dutch oven cooking, soapmaking. I am thankful that I dont "HAVE" to do it but rather can enjoy the creative aspect of them...Just finished spinning and plying some alpaca this morning.
In our area, many of the women shoot and get right into the thick of things at the rendezvous.. but I have heard that in other areas it is much more strict...

I have been at gun clubs where young women come with their boyfriends and sit and watch and don't talk to anyone else, or do anything, but wait. I don't know what is wrong with their boyfriends, or with them. Why they stand for that kind of treatment in this day and age escapes me. I do know of gun clubs where women are prohibited. I leave when I find that is the rule. I feel the same way about that kind of thing as I do about racial and religious restrictions. They do not belong in America. Men who insist on restricting memberships, or activities, have a serious problem, and its not between their legs. ( about 3 feet higher would be my guess.)

Our group is really "family friendly". When we first joined about 6 years ago, there were quite a few guys from other units that would give me dirty looks because they came out to "get away from their families". Luckily the guys in our unit are really nice, quite a few bring their wives and kids. We do try to separate the men from civillians when we do a living history, but when it comes to a reenactment we all camp together and the girls take care of the food and camp when the guys go out to do a battle. My question was more about the living historys, when spectators walk around. I would like them to have something interesting to watch while they walk through the civillian camp as well as the military side. - Mrs Jerry P
p.s. Thank you all for your info, I have learned a ton already!

I forgot, I'm really into shooting and I've found a new love of making powder horns. This forum is awesome! But I'll try to keep to a little more "lady like" activities for around camp! :rotf:
-Mrs Jerry P

A bit before your time period, but Beth Gilgun wrote a book called 'Tidings From the 18th Century'. Should be worth a read; she has sections on candlemaking and soapmaking. I doubt those activities changed too much up through the 1860s.
Have you looked into the Foxfire series?
Moose

Mrs. Jerry P
I have always thought it would be fun to do a powder horn..and I might someday, just have not got there yet, to many things to try :winking: lol..I would love to see a picture of some of your work.

At camp I quite often keep an inkle loom warped so if someone is interested they can sit down and give it a go...I have done Dutch oven demo's as well folks like to hear about them and see them in action...although we play in different time frames it might work for you as well..

Cooking is always a big hit with the spectators. If you have some paper plates, and plastic spoons, you can give them a taste of whatever you have, and make a friend. People like to get the recipies, so make a printed form listing all the recipes you will be using during a camp-out, so you can pass them out to people. If you ask for donations to defray copying expenses, you can raise quite a bit of money for the club. People are very generous.

We have people casting round balls over a fire, sewing, weaving, doing bead work, whittling, doing leather projects, making jewelry, just manning " trade blankets ", giving tours of lodges and explaining all the gear and how its used. We once drew a huge crowd that sat around in a large ring watching us put up a Cheyenne style Tipi. Later, they gathered around again, to what us take it down. All the things you take for granted are fascinating to the uninformed. The people ask great questions, and if you need an extra hand, they are always willing to lend a hand to you.

One time, I took the makings for some Japanese style stir-fry, cutting up vegetables and meat at home, so that they were already bite size, and only had to be heated over the fire. I boiled some water and cooked up a pot of rice. I put some apples and pineapple in my meat and vegetable mix that I fried in my frying pan, and the smell brought not only members of the club running to see what was cooking, but plenty of the spectators. I did have extra paper bowls and spoons, and had made enough food to feed a dozen people, so I had plenty to dish out in samples to everyone. The club members thought we had the best meal of anyone, and were kicking themselve for not thinging about doing something simple like stir fry themselves. They also liked our deserts. Camping out does not have to be a trial of eating bland or boring food.

Cooking is always a big hit with the spectators. If you have some paper plates, and plastic spoons, you can give them a taste of whatever you have, and make a friend. People like to get the recipies, so make a printed form listing all the recipes you will be using during a camp-out, so you can pass them out to people. If you ask for donations to defray copying expenses, you can raise quite a bit of money for the club. People are very generous.

We have people casting round balls over a fire, sewing, weaving, doing bead work, whittling, doing leather projects, making jewelry, just manning " trade blankets ", giving tours of lodges and explaining all the gear and how its used. We once drew a huge crowd that sat around in a large ring watching us put up a Cheyenne style Tipi. Later, they gathered around again, to what us take it down. All the things you take for granted are fascinating to the uninformed. The people ask great questions, and if you need an extra hand, they are always willing to lend a hand to you.

One time, I took the makings for some Japanese style stir-fry, cutting up vegetables and meat at home, so that they were already bite size, and only had to be heated over the fire. I boiled some water and cooked up a pot of rice. I put some apples and pineapple in my meat and vegetable mix that I fried in my frying pan, and the smell brought not only members of the club running to see what was cooking, but plenty of the spectators. I did have extra paper bowls and spoons, and had made enough food to feed a dozen people, so I had plenty to dish out in samples to everyone. The club members thought we had the best meal of anyone, and were kicking themselve for not thinging about doing something simple like stir fry themselves. They also liked our deserts. Camping out does not have to be a trial of eating bland or boring food.

One of our club members cooked the meat from a Beaver in a pressure cooker at home, then threw in his favorite barbeque sauce, and brought it out to a raw winter camp in early March. He brought enough sandwich buns to serve BBQ Beaver the whole weekend to anyone who wanted to try it. It was delicious.

I made the powder horn for Jerry P's last birthday. Although I keep finding things about it that I don't like, Jerry and his friends are rather impressed. One guy who is really into the sport, said it looked better than a "first horn". Now of course, I need to do more and better ones. Wouldn't you know, four horns were found in my Christmas presents! I can't wait to work on them! But with three boys, 6, 2 1/2 and 1, that might take a while! :haha: I'd love to get a pic of it posted, I guess we'll have to go buy a digital camera! - Mrs Jerry P

Sewing of "Housewifes" (sewing kits) for soldiers was BIG in the CW. Most of the ones you see--even online--are from that period. They are also called that with various spellings. Just google up the images. There are even online patterns with instructions for making them. Basically, they tend to be roll-up sewing kits that are (naturally) hand sewn using a little felt (to hold pins and needles), a pocket (for buttons, beeswax) a little thread. One big deal about[url] these...in[/url] a soldiers possession, they are done to look like "somebody liked them." Contrast the creative craftswomanship you see online with the OD WWI "Army Issue" varieties that sometimes come up.
Sparks

Last edited by a moderator:
Back