• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Couldn't resist...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The states listed require guns be shipped to an FFL, so that the buyer will go through a state ordered background check at the time of purchase, and comply with the state "cooling off" restrictions, if any. That notice simply applies to direct shipments to customers.

I saw one of those in a gun shop one time and the touch hole didn't line up very good. This doesn't mean the one you ordered will be like that. Iv'e seen the same thing on lymans,some of them line up and some don't. Just have to try it and see how she works. That is a good price on it.

Thanks Paul..

Seems a silly law, a person is upset with someone, so they might order a flintlock to kill them with?? Ahh bureaucrats, you have to love them.

-Ron

Believe it or not, Illinois adopted these rules after some Chicago resident held up a store "armed" with a BP revolver that was not loaded, and had been stolen in a burglary someplace. To my knowledge, No murder, or armed robbery or shooting in Illinois has been committed with loaded BP guns. The idea that the street punks who do these kinds of crime would take the time to learn how to properly load, shoot, and clean a flintlock, much less take the time to acquire all the parts and components to load one is ludicrous. Its bad enough that our Politicians don't know law abiding gun owners; its even worse that they have no clue how criminals think and behave. They actually believe that going to war against law abiding gun owners is going to make criminals change careers!

You are very kind to describe our regulations as "silly". I am a lot harsher, but then, I live in the People's Republic of Illinois.

At that price, I don't see how you can get hurt. Congratulations on the deal, I think you should be able to get a lot of enjoyment out of the gun at that price - should be a lot of gun for $280.

:hatsoff:
Spot

TBONE, I dunno if it is or it isn't, but a guy on another forum says it is indeed 1-66 twist.

Rumor has it that this particular rifle is an Austin & Hallek (sp?) that Traditions either bought up the old stock including returns (which could explain the "seconds") or is getting them from the same maker that A&H was. Also, according to someone who appears to know, the issue with the A&H version was the quality of the stock (subpar wood that breaks, inletting job that causes the stock to break, that kind of thing). Apparently the metal was good enough, fitting might not be so good.

I have seen pictures of Lymans that don't live up to their hype, TC's that don't match what they should, nearly every maker I would think should be decent enough. If it isn't what I expect it to be I will report that.

Understand that I am not what I would call a Traditions fan. I knew when I bought the one I own now that it wasn't a high quality low price firearm. I bought what I bought because I wanted to try the flintlock thing to see if I would like it. I have heard all sorts of bad things about them BUT mine seems to work as it should, couple guys I know of have had to do some work on theirs to make them work (replace/tune locks, harden frizzen, one guy had to rework the ignition path to make it work like he wanted). I dunno maybe I don't know any better and mine doesn't work as well as I think. BUT I do know that this rifle appears a heck of alot better than anything else I could get for twice the cost.

tv_racin_fan said:
TBONE, I dunno if it is or it isn't, but a guy on another forum says it is indeed 1-66 twist.

Rumor has it that this particular rifle is an Austin & Hallek (sp?) that Traditions either bought up the old stock including returns (which could explain the "seconds") or is getting them from the same maker that A&H was. Also, according to someone who appears to know, the issue with the A&H version was the quality of the stock (subpar wood that breaks, inletting job that causes the stock to break, that kind of thing). Apparently the metal was good enough, fitting might not be so good.

I have seen pictures of Lymans that don't live up to their hype, TC's that don't match what they should, nearly every maker I would think should be decent enough. If it isn't what I expect it to be I will report that.

Understand that I am not what I would call a Traditions fan. I knew when I bought the one I own now that it wasn't a high quality low price firearm. I bought what I bought because I wanted to try the flintlock thing to see if I would like it. I have heard all sorts of bad things about them BUT mine seems to work as it should, couple guys I know of have had to do some work on theirs to make them work (replace/tune locks, harden frizzen, one guy had to rework the ignition path to make it work like he wanted). I dunno maybe I don't know any better and mine doesn't work as well as I think. BUT I do know that this rifle appears a heck of alot better than anything else I could get for twice the cost.

Hey, no need to justify your purchase. You bought what you wanted. :thumbsup:

I just finished talking with a customer rep at Traditions a few minutes ago. He stated the twist is 1:48. I asked if he could double check the barrel itself, and he said he's positive it's 1:48. I would buy a couple myself if they were 1:66.

I didn't ask the size of the barrel. Sorry. If anyone gets one of these Traditions Mountain Rifles delivered, please let us know what the twist is; maybe the service rep was wrong.

When it comes in I intend to get some pictures and let ya know what I think of her. When I get a chance to shoot her I'll be posting a report on that as well.

That'l give me an excuse to either buy a digi camera or borrow one.

tv_racin_fan said:
When it comes in I intend to get some pictures and let ya know what I think of her. When I get a chance to shoot her I'll be posting a report on that as well.

That'l give me an excuse to either buy a digi camera or borrow one.

Great! I was just going to ask for a range report when you finally got it in your hands. I'll be waiting. :thumbsup:

hummm ???

makes me wonder ? if i was to order one of these ?

i have the old barrel off my pop's old lyman, its a .50 also. but in 1-60 twist...

buy a good lock ? how much would i have in it ?
my barrel is a good shooter, we know this barrel, just thinkin......

Got an email today. Some kinda goof up at Traditions and they are out of the "seconds". The website hadn't been updated or something and the price on the first runs was wrong to begin with.

A guy on another forum who had ordered the same thing called and he got 35% off and ordered himself a Frontier rifle. Not a bad rifle but it aint as much of a step up as I had wanted. I'm not done yet but I figured I'd post on the happenings.

That just comes back to the old saying "when something seems too good to be true, it probably is." :haha:

I called Traditions again, and this time spoke with a rep who knew about the 'Mountain' muzzleloaders. The website is wrong; the twist is 1:66, which is good. He said Traditions did buy the tooling for Austin Halleck, and made the same gun, but they have discontinued them. The bad news: the website price of $349 for the '1sts' has been increased to $399. That irritates me so much, I may get the Lyman instead.

I found a flint Great Plains and some goodies for $400. Soon as it dries I'll get some pictures and give a first range report.

Latest posts

Back