• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Broke into black powder yesterday.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are now traveling down a dark path but one that will keep you off the streets and out of the pubs. But now your free time will be mostly filled with BP & other smoke related things; and you won't ever escape the addiction. The DeerHunter is a great choice for starting out. I fired and hunted deer with one for over 20 years (mine was a capgun, though). They are accurate and great handling little rifles.

You will need a few accoutrements and must learn to knapp/sharpen your flints. Then there's finding good loads, patching material, horns and measures just to name a few. You are now stuck! :thumb:

I try to get to the range twice a week but with the shortages of reloading supplies I'm always thinking about how many rounds I send downrange.

The club I belong to has some beautiful outdoor ranges and I like to spend hours there if only to enjoy the fresh air experience. Normally I'd shoot my pistols for a bit, then head over to the rifle range for a while but it always seems I get to the point where I feel I need to quit burning ammo before I'm ready to call it a day.

My new flintlock is a big help with that since it takes a lot longer to use up ammo. More time at the range is always a good thing to me.

It is addictive! I bought my first black powder a 2 months ago (TC Renegade) and 30 days later I now have 5 more. I find it relaxing shooting black powder and who doesn't love the smoke cloud! So like zerosprk said " warn your wallet to "brace for impact!!!" ".
Good Shooting,
Tom

I made my second trip to the range with my new gun yesterday. I tried 8 shots at 25 yards then 8 shots at 50 yards. I putzed around there for 4 hours just enjoying the fresh air and sunshine, playing with powders and flints and taking a few videos. Now that's conserving ammo. I could easily shoot 16 rounds through my 9mm in 40 seconds rather than 4 hours.

Since I had both 3F and 2F powders I experimented with both and couldn't see any noticeable difference. I did use only 4F in the pan all day. I had a few misfires as I'm still learning about proper positioning and sharpness on the flints, but I'm sure that will come with time.

It was a very enjoyable day as I had the entire range to myself so I was able to take my time with everything.

I made my second trip to the range with my new gun yesterday. I tried 8 shots at 25 yards then 8 shots at 50 yards. I putzed around there for 4 hours just enjoying the fresh air and sunshine, playing with powders and flints and taking a few videos. Now that's conserving ammo. I could easily shoot 16 rounds through my 9mm in 40 seconds rather than 4 hours.

Since I had both 3F and 2F powders I experimented with both and couldn't see any noticeable difference. I did use only 4F in the pan all day. I had a few misfires as I'm still learning about proper positioning and sharpness on the flints, but I'm sure that will come with time.

It was a very enjoyable day as I had the entire range to myself so I was able to take my time with everything.

I've found this to happen as well. I show up with a huge bag of ammo thinking I'll get through it so quickly. Next thing I know I'm getting called by my fiancee asking how much longer I'll be, and I'll have been there for hours, and I feel like I've only fired 10-15 shots.

Hey mmb617 great post. I am new also and not even close to firing my first shot, however I'm excited for my first boom. I wonder a couple of things from a newcomer to BP. Did you wear a hat? Not kidding. Do you think you can improve on the 50 yd. results. What load did you use? Thanks Buddy!

I've found this to happen as well. I show up with a huge bag of ammo thinking I'll get through it so quickly. Next thing I know I'm getting called by my fiancee asking how much longer I'll be, and I'll have been there for hours, and I feel like I've only fired 10-15 shots.

Next time take your fiancée. It's way over time for her to get used to your time on the range.

Just one of the many benefits of being a white smoker.
There have been days where I only managed 8 or 10 shots, but the gun was fired 20 rounds.
Last trip out I was approached by a woman in her 60's (a range regular) and she asked why I had not offered her a turn at the Bess too.... (She loaded and fired 4 and grudgingly turned it back over to me.)
These are the days I live for - white smoke - good friends - a little sunshine and temperate weather.
It just doesn't get any better than that.

Just one of the many benefits of being a white smoker.
There have been days where I only managed 8 or 10 shots, but the gun was fired 20 rounds.
Last trip out I was approached by a woman in her 60's (a range regular) and she asked why I had not offered her a turn at the Bess too.... (She loaded and fired 4 and grudgingly turned it back over to me.)
These are the days I live for - white smoke - good friends - a little sunshine and temperate weather.
It just doesn't get any better than that.

Yep, anyone who shows overt interest and ask questions has to fire the gun in my opinion. Doesn't matter who they are as long as they are interested I feel their day will be significantly better by firing the floof tube and I'll insist despite their politeness. They always react with a huge grin and laugh.

Hey mmb617 great post. I am new also and not even close to firing my first shot, however I'm excited for my first boom. I wonder a couple of things from a newcomer to BP. Did you wear a hat? Not kidding. Do you think you can improve on the 50 yd. results. What load did you use? Thanks Buddy!

Welcome fellow new black powder shooter. In answer to your questions:

Yes I did wear a hat as it was kind of chilly, but I don't see a hat as having any bearing on the shooting. Not sure what that question is about.

I am certain I can improve on the 50 yard shots. Eventually. I'm not too good with open sights as I normally shoot my AR's with scopes, and my eyes aren't great. I'm real inconsistent at 50 yards right now with the flintlock. Out of the 8 shots I took, 5 of them were near the bull and the group could easily be covered by my hand. One was about 4 inches low and left, and the other two didn't hit the target at all. Lot's of room for improvement.

I was using 50 grains of either 2F or 3F Goex. I couldn't see any difference between them. I used 4F in the pan and found that as someone told me earlier in this thread that I don't need the whole 3 grains I was using, as less worked just as well.

Here's a short video I made while at the range. It's not great but shows the process I used, right or wrong. It starts with pouring the powder from the flask into the powder measure, then down the barrel. I then check the measure to be sure all the powder was dispensed. I'm having a little trouble getting the ball and patch started as it's really tight. I'm using a .490 ball and 0.10 prelubed patch. I bought a real nice range rod and marked it so I know the ball is seated the whole way down.

The first time I settled in to take the shot the primer did not ignite so I edited that out. I fiddled with the flint and re-cocked for the second attempt and got the expected boom.

As mentioned I spent 4 hours at the range to take 16 shots but I consider it all to have been quality time.

The lighting in this video isn't the greatest, and for that I apologize. I still have a lot to learn about taking video with a phone.

If you replay 2:11 on tape a few times I think you might find some flinching, or shot anticipating, or whatever you want to call it. As with all rifles follow thru is important but especially with flintlocks. Thanks for the video, very interesting thanks for your time.

Yeah the rifle jumped a bit with that shot, not sure if insecure placement on the bench or a flinch, but it pulled to the right a bit. Otherwise looks amazing and I'm jealous! Hopefully get my rifle in the next few months.

One of the many perks of my club’s range is there’s No Cell service!!

The hat question was a real inquiry. With all the sparks and open ignition the question of catching your hair on fire, that's all...I went to the black powder shoot at my club today. It was an informal shotgun/rifle shoot. Imagine being in a deadly duel for your hearth and home and having just a BP weapon. That idea scares me and I have a new respect for the men that fought the Revolution with similar arms.

Back