• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

corrosive #11 caps?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnwm

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if standard #11 caps contain a corrosive element? I recently saw a small muzzleloading derringer-style handgun which fires .177 round balls, propelled only by a cap, no separate powder charge. Would this be subject to the need for a thorough soap-and-water cleaning after each firing, or would it be more along the lines of shooting a rimfire or centerfire gun, allowing a bit more casual care?

Modern percussion caps are uniformly non-corrosive - and say so on the container. If it doesn't say 'Non-Corrosive' on the container, find another type.

mhb - Mike

It's might say that but only because they're not the old mercury based primers of WW1

Yes, the compounds in primers now-a-days while not being corrosive, do leave a residue that is hygroscopic and will quickly begin the rust process on metals where the residue is not cleaned off.

Gotta clean'm asap like you would if actually using a BP charge.

necchi is right.

If I am not mistaken, it is called fumeric lead.

When you hear of concerns about guns and lead during cleaning, it's the primer residue, not the bullets alone.

I nit pick people at the range who eat food after shooting guns without washing their hands.

Although we could use a good banjo player on the club porch............

Thanks to all for that info. I just made the deal for this little toy, and I guess I'll be cleaning it like a muzzleloader, rather than neglecting it like a .22!

azmntman, the derringer is made by Pedersoli, and it might still be available new. Up here in Canuckistan, a well-known dealer was importing two models of these guns, one called the Rider, and another slightly larger one (the one I just bought) called the Guardian. Maybe you have a local gunshop that can get you one. The guy I bought mine from says that the manual warns against the use of steel BB's...it's for lead balls only. I will probably try it with .177 pellets as well. Looking forward to playing with it!

Necchi:
The corrosive element in early primers was not mercury, but potassium chlorate, which leaves a residue of potassium chloride, a hygroscopic salt. It is the salt residue which causes rusting by absorbing moisture from the atmosphere.
In fact, many early non-corrosive primers eliminated the chlorate, but retained the mercury - unfortunately, the mercury attacked the brass of the cartridge case, rendering it unfit for reloading.
Most modern priming compositions are based on lead styphnate, with frictionators and fuels added - none of these leave a hygroscopic salt residue, and none of the modern cleaning solutions are water-based, as water is not needed as a solvent for the non-salt residues.
The most one can say is that the residue cannot prevent rust, but any of the modern solvents should serve perfectly well for maintaining a primer-powered firearm.
On the other hand, water will probably work, too, if soap is added...

mhb - Mike

It sure was! I learned the answer to a question I had not thought of. :wink:

Geo. T.

Well put. Lyman's reloading manuals briefly discuss this. That goes with the suggestions never to use brass of an unknown source or age.

Back