• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

corn starch

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bearbeater

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey
anyone out ther ever put a little corn starch between your powder and your patch and ball??? I have when hunting in wet weather. dont know if it helps but it didn't hurtany.

Bearbeater

I can't imagine it helping any...certainly not enough to justify the hassle of even carrying the darn stuff around with you...!!

Sorry but I just think that fillers such as corn starch, cream of wheat or whatever are just bad ideas. Even in cartridge guns it's a bad idee. Seems to me that at the very least it's going to increase fouling. There's enough fouling to go around from just the BP, or even the fake powders...why add burnt CORN STARCH to your bore??

A very better idea is to use Wonder Wads. They will protect the patch, reduce fouling and sometimes even improve accuracy.

As far as water proofing I can't imagine moisture getting past a tightly patched ball. My own theory is that powder very rarely absorbs moisture "from the air", but rather main charges, prime, and even caps are fouled by oil and water left over from the cleaning process, and the failure to completely dry a gun out before loading...I suspect water and oil sometimes "creeps" out of the breech plug threads and fouls a main charge...probably depending on how well the barrel was breeched, and how well the threads are cut, match each other, etc.

Well there's probably much more than you wanted to hear!!

:yakyak:

Rat

anyone out ther ever put a little corn starch between your powder and your patch and ball?

Bearbeater,

The only time I would do this (with cream of wheat/semolina) is with a C&B revolver when target shooting at 25 or 50yds.

The reasoning is that only a mild load is required for accurate paper punching (15gns 3F for me), but, If I only put this amount of powder in each chamber, an air pocket will exist between the powder & ball (which is bad). Putting a little semolina after the powder fills the air pocket.

Semolina is cheap and it really doesn't add anything extra to the fouling. Some people will suggest a wad/s which is OK to.

Whatever works for you! :results: :imo:

Lehigh County, the home of propa longarms.

:thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back