• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

copper shot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

armymedic.2

45 Cal.
Reaction score
is there any danger to shooting copper shot out of a choked barrel. no jug choked, or screw out, just a fixed modified choke. I am looking to shoot copper plated shot out of my smoothie without using a shot cup. seems okay to me, anyone ever had a problem?

I sthat copper covered steel or pure copper and a modified choke. I know you are not suppose to shoot steel out of a full choke but modified on a regular shot gun is ok so I would think it is the same. My 2 cents. Fisher King.

no, it is lead shot, plated with copper. It makes it penetrate better and deform less in the barrel because of the harder copper shell. because copper is harder than lead, it made me think i should ask if it can be shot without shot cups.

Not an issue. The copper plating (or nickle plating for that matter) isn't hard/thick enough to damage the choke.

Hi there, the copper is there on the shot for a few reasons: to stop the shot clumping as it oxidises, to help reduce barrel leading (if not using shot cups) it also aids flight as it does not destort the lead as much, plus it gets better penitration on the game. Hope that answers your question, happy shooting :winking:

armymedic.2 said:
no, it is lead shot, plated with copper. It makes it penetrate better and deform less in the barrel because of the harder copper shell. because copper is harder than lead, it made me think i should ask if it can be shot without shot cups.
Since the copper plating is quite thin and is supported only by the lead, how does it resist deforming any more than plain chilled shot? :hmm:

Copper or nickle plated shot resists deformation better than plain lead shot because it reduces the coeffecient of friction between the pellets. Therefore, when the shot column is pushed up the barrel the indvidual pellets can move against each other slightly easier rather than smashing together. Likewise, it penetrates a little better because it has less friction than pure lead.

Back