• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Coors can diameter?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scota4570

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a 2 5/16"ID by 5" OD steel tube 18"long. It is DOM and probably 1020. It is screaming mortar. Could someone measure a Coors can for me? I know regular pop can are too fat. No biggie to bore it to the correct ID. I was just hoping I got lucky.

I have two options. Make two mortars with 9" barrels. Thread the tube on the outside and be breech plug on the inside. I could go vice versa and thread the tube on the inside and the plug on the outside. That would take up several inches of the bore so I would probably make one longer gun. My machinist buddy wants to thread the tube on the inside. His plan would save time boring the cap-plug before threading it.

I think it would be easier to get a uniform bore in two 9" pieces than one 16" piece. I am afraid the boring bar will chatter if it is that long. The boring bar he made up is 2” od and 1” bore with a telescoping solid section. Pretty beefie.

Comments?

coors light can 2 3/8 (cold)....without the patch...we'll keep lookin fer something smaller RC HA! found a can that's 2 1/4 diameter. but it's an aerosol can,,price chopper butter spray,,later i'll see if i get the can opener to work on it.i'll de pressurize first..ahhhh! if it works..i'll send ya a bunch!

Maybe one of those energy caffiene drinks the kids are into these days. They seem to come in odd diameters...
Moose

A standard Aluminum beverage can is 2.6 inches. So for rule of thumb for proper windage bore the tube out to 2.6666.

Make a breech plug 3.125 long with a powder chamber in it 1 5/8 in diameter by 1 inch deep. and screw it in one end of the tube. Cut the tube 8.5 inches long over all. Add a trunnion bar and vent liner.

Use a starting load of 250 grains of FG and be prepared for a cement filled can to go a long ways. Maximum charge is 500 grs Fg.

I got started over the weekend. I had no idea how long it takes to remove such masive amounts of material. The breech plug recess is 2 1/2" deep and 3 1/2" wide in a piece of solid stock. That one feature took me about 4-hours. Threading still needs to be done on the barrel and plug. The machine is a 13" Clausing Ca 1981. We ended up making a huge boring bar. To be fair lots of the time was spent setting up for cuts and generally re-inventing the wheel. I am now figuring it will take three days. I was thinking I could knock it out in one long day. The second one should go faster. We got material for two.

Hey! I have to make a carraige, two more days. : )

Back