• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Two percussion guns question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crow#21957

50 Cal.
Reaction score
The question is about drum placement. One of my rifles has the center of drum(hole into barrel) is 3/16 in front of breech plug face the other is 5/16 in front if breech plug face.Dont know how igot that much difference between the two. Are these measurements ok. Reason they are that far is I did not want the threads of drum tapped into face or deeper in breech plug.If they went into the breech plug any it would seem to create a possible cleaning problem (trap)

Hope my pics make sense. On one of the guns I can tell the breech plug protrudes into the bore not very much.Top pic shows what I always try to avoid and I did.The bottom pic is what I want to know. Should I remove the drum and file it down so it does not protrude past the inner wall of barrel like bottom pic. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20230304_111651.jpg
    IMG_20230304_111651.jpg
    643.8 KB · Views: 0
The question is about drum placement. One of my rifles has the center of drum(hole into barrel) is 3/16 in front of breech plug face the other is 5/16 in front if breech plug face.Dont know how igot that much difference between the two. Are these measurements ok. Reason they are that far is I did not want the threads of drum tapped into face or deeper in breech plug.If they went into the breech plug any it would seem to create a possible cleaning problem (trap)
My preference is to have the drum ahead of the breech plug. Closer to the the BP is better for ignition, but then swabbing can accumulate more fowling at the opening. One just has to be cognizant of that, so they maintain an open drum/nipple pathway. You want the drum to be flush with the bore. :thumb:
Larry

NM gwell I just realized I messed up on measuring. Both of the drums flash hole are 3/16 in in front of breech plug face. That's putting the threads of drum as close to breech plug face without hitting the face.I notched a ram rod and oriented the notch so it would hit the drum threas. Inserted it and marked,, then rotated rod 180 degree and it would drop about 1/4 in on down to breech plug,, marked again. Then the center between the marks would be the hole in drum. So I just need to pull the drums and cut them back so the fo not protrude past the inside wall of barrel. Thanks for the advice. I'm actually enjoying this.lol

If it were me I would remove some material so the drum is flush with the inner wall just for cleaning purposes. I'm also certain that flushing during cleaning would remove any fouling either way but like the previous poster stated, if you need to scrape the breech area, that extra length will get in your way. It would also be more likely to catch a patch on your jag and pull it off requiring a worm to remove it.

Back