• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Convert Breech Loader to Muzzleloader - Allowed?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pheenix99

40 Cal
Reaction score
Found an item that converts a breech loading shotgun into a muzzleloading one. Don't want to get my hand slapped by the admins, so I figured I'd ask if I can post the link before I actually did.

It sounds like it must be some sort of inline adapter. This forum is more for traditional sidelock muzzleloaders, the only exception being cap & ball revolvers.

There is another forum for modern muzzleloaders. I’m sure you would be welcome there. Not that you aren’t welcome here… it’s just that this crowd prefers traditional guns.

Notchy Bob

It sounds like it must be some sort of inline adapter. This forum is more for traditional sidelock muzzleloaders, the only exception being cap & ball revolvers.

There is another forum for modern muzzleloaders. I’m sure you would be welcome there. Not that you aren’t welcome here… it’s just that this crowd prefers traditional guns.

Notchy Bob
Well, I could use it with my sidelock, breech loading coach gun. I understand the spirit of the forum, and since this item I found seems like a bit of a gray area, I figured I'd ask before posting the link.

I believe that discussing this type of modern conversion would violate the Pre-1865 rule as well as the ignition types allowed here. Would be a good topic for the Modern Muzzle loader site.

Reactions: smo
I believe that discussing this type of modern conversion would violate the Pre-1865 rule as well as the ignition types allowed here. Would be a good topic for the Modern Muzzle loader site.
I could understand an argument that a link would violate the pre-1865 rule (though I don't necessarily agree), but don't think it would violate the ignition rule. This is one of those "I'm not entirely sure, so I'm asking" things.

Last edited:
With something like this regularly popping up as an add on the site, I figure it was worth an ask.

1657028244440.png

The sponsors are free to advertise stuff. That's not a thread. Although we do not discuss inlines, it does not seem to hamper AGC's desire to advertise on The Forum.

Conversion of a breech loading shotgun would turn it into a smoothbore inline. Not allowed.

IF one converted the firing pin channel to take some sort of nipple, on an exposed hammer shotgun, and then loaded it from the muzzle, it still would not be allowed. Although we do discuss breech loaders that use an external ignition source such as a flint or cap, these are limited to 1865 production and earlier, and the converted shotgun scenario would be of a more modern design, post 1865.

LD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back