conversion to caplock

Discussion in 'Percussion Rifles' started by cephus, Jul 8, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Jul 8, 2019 #1

cephus

cephus

cephus

32 Cal

How much of a pain is it to change a flinter to a capper? I have friend who was thinking of changing his but its a old production muzzie so we nwere wondering ewhat all is involved.

Andy

2. Jul 8, 2019 #2

OldRust

OldRust

OldRust

32 Cal MLF Supporter

Any,

I've converted them both ways, and back but it depends on what he has. A picture of your friends ML flinter would be best

3. Jul 8, 2019 #3

cephus

cephus

cephus

32 Cal

its a old traditions kentucky he cant get the hang of knapping. might he be better off trying to trade for a caplock?

4. Jul 8, 2019 #4

OldRust

OldRust

OldRust

32 Cal MLF Supporter

The CVA and Traditions patent type breech would take some work and he would also need to buy a drum/nipple and a percussion lock. If he's not familiar and comfortable with doing this type of work it is my opinion that for monetary and safety's sake it would be better to trade or sell his off for a caplock.

5. Jul 8, 2019 #5

Grenadier1758

Grenadier1758

Grenadier1758

58 Cal.

I concur with OldRust's assessment.

6. Jul 8, 2019 #6

cephus

cephus

cephus

32 Cal

Ty guys I let him know.

Andy

7. Jul 8, 2019 #7

hanshi

hanshi

hanshi

Cannon

I agree. Many of the Spanish factory offerings can't be converted without probable damage. Otherwise, cap to flint is easy; flint to cap is a PITA.

8. Jul 9, 2019 #8

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

What’s the side of the gun look like? If it’s a drum and nipple it’s real easy. Pull the drum, fit a touch hole liner in and replace the lock with a flint. Dixie’s Tennessee rife could be bought with a conversion kit.
    Should it have a percussion breech with snail it’s harder, since it has to be fitted with a new patten breech. Will need wood work and a blank lock fitted to the opening. A whole rework of the breech area.

9. Jul 9, 2019 #9

Grenadier1758

Grenadier1758

Grenadier1758

58 Cal.

The Traditions breeches have the through the breech plug drum. You may have to look for Zonie's drawings of a Traditions/CVA breech. If you only install a touch hole liner, then the far side of the breech is weakened. That's why I don't recommend such conversions for a Traditions rifle.

I found one of Zonie's drawings. The New CVA / Traditions style is what you have to deal with for the conversion. I don't believe the CVA/Traditions caplock drums are available for sale and whatever warranty exists is lost with responsibility to the smith that makes the modification.

The conversion is possible if you have touch hole similar to the side drum configuration. Then the touch hole can be removed and a side drum installed. A new lock is recommended.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019