• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

conversion to caplock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cephus

32 Cal
Reaction score
How much of a pain is it to change a flinter to a capper? I have friend who was thinking of changing his but its a old production muzzie so we nwere wondering ewhat all is involved.

Andy

its a old traditions kentucky he cant get the hang of knapping. might he be better off trying to trade for a caplock?

The CVA and Traditions patent type breech would take some work and he would also need to buy a drum/nipple and a percussion lock. If he's not familiar and comfortable with doing this type of work it is my opinion that for monetary and safety's sake it would be better to trade or sell his off for a caplock.

I agree. Many of the Spanish factory offerings can't be converted without probable damage. Otherwise, cap to flint is easy; flint to cap is a PITA.

What’s the side of the gun look like? If it’s a drum and nipple it’s real easy. Pull the drum, fit a touch hole liner in and replace the lock with a flint. Dixie’s Tennessee rife could be bought with a conversion kit.
Should it have a percussion breech with snail it’s harder, since it has to be fitted with a new patten breech. Will need wood work and a blank lock fitted to the opening. A whole rework of the breech area.

The Traditions breeches have the through the breech plug drum. You may have to look for Zonie's drawings of a Traditions/CVA breech. If you only install a touch hole liner, then the far side of the breech is weakened. That's why I don't recommend such conversions for a Traditions rifle.

I found one of Zonie's drawings. The New CVA / Traditions style is what you have to deal with for the conversion. I don't believe the CVA/Traditions caplock drums are available for sale and whatever warranty exists is lost with responsibility to the smith that makes the modification.

The conversion is possible if you have touch hole similar to the side drum configuration. Then the touch hole can be removed and a side drum installed. A new lock is recommended.

37818836434_60bc96b0e0_o.jpg

Last edited:
Back