• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

conversion cylinders

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charliek

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm interested in a conversion cylinder for an 1851 Navy. R&D has one which is supposed to be "drop in". Taylor's has one which looks similar, and then another with a plate which seems to go on the breech end of the cylinder. Has anyone had experiece with any of them? Ease of installation, reliability etc.?
Thanks
Charlie

The two piece cylinders work fine with Remingtons where the cylinder is easily removed. For Colt types I much prefer a full conversion with loading gate because having to remove the barrel from a Colt every time you load is not only a PITA but will soon cause the gun to wear loose. One can usually pick up a second hand centerfire revolver for less than the cost of converting a cap and ball and you'll be way ahead, especially regarding the 1851 since .38 centerfire bullets measure .357" while .36 cap&ball bores go .375", only hollow based bullets will shoot even half-assed from such a conversion.
If you really want a conversion revolver, I like them myself, I'd recomend you buy a new one from any of several importers who carry the Uberti "Richards-Mason" conversions which have proper bores for modern bullets.
The .44 cap&balls do work OK with modern .45 caliber bullets but .36's need a relined bore at least. :grin:

Yep, if you're going to do the conversion the Remington is the only way to go unless you get a bored thru cylinder and loading gate set-up on your Colt. As has been said, you can get Ctg.Convert guns thru Ubrerti for what it'd probably cost you for a cap n' ball six gun and conversion cylinder so why even mess with it. They are making a conversion cylinder for the little Remington .31cal pocket revolvers(steel frame only) in .32S&W, that'd be pretty cool to play with but remember to use only black powder or "cowboy" smokeless loads, no "modern" loads should be used and no jacketed bullets.

Charles-Why not get a 72 open Top? much stronger revolver,and you can get it 44 Russian(at least closer to the original cartridge).Big bonus,you actually get a rear sight.Originally chambered 44 Henry rim fire,it was only manufactured for approximately 1 1/2 to 2 years even colt is a lttle vague about this.If you do a full cartidge conversion on a 51 navy,I doubt you will go back to C-n-B.Like everyone has said just the cylinder conversion is a PITA to work with,plus you have to shoot hollow base bullets(or get the barrel lined)By the the time you do all of this ,you could have purched either RM conversion or 72 OT.Just some thoughts...respectfully montanadan

Yep, and then when you hit the lotto and are really rich you can buy a Spencers copy in 44 Russian as well. That'd make a heck of a nice pair, a '72 Open Top and a Spencers both in 44 Russian. :thumbsup:

TN-I have a pair of OT's,38 special,to go with my 66 Yellowboy,and SxS hammered double.Spencer would be nice,saving up for another flinter. Maybe a custom,or at least a good used one.Respectfully Montanadan (merrily impuning along)

I had a '61 Colt Navy ctg. convert from the factory so the barrel was the correct size to shoot standard .357" bullets. I loaded it up with a Lyman 125gr Cowboy bullet(home cast of course) and a case full of Pyrodex P with a CCI Mag. Primer to kick it all off. It was one of the coolest guns that I've ever owned. But, like I always do I swapped it off for something else. I wish they'd make the Henry in 44 Russian, that's be a sweet gun to pair up with a ctg. convert Colt.

Thanks for the information everybody. I had not been aware of the open-top until I started thinking about these conversions. Unfortunately I'm limited as to what I can mail order because some companies won't ship even a muzzle-loader to my state due to the firearm purchase regulations which have been imposed. I'll have to keep an eye open at some of the larger gunshows.
Charlie

Juggernaut said:
Looking for a conversion cylinder for my BP-7 Ruger Old Army 45

Thanks Juggernaut

Go to Brownells and look up Kirst Kartridge Konverter or the R&D Conversion cylinder. Both run about $250.

I had the Kirst and my ROA was WAAAY more accurate shooting reasonable .45 Colt loads than when stuffed with BP&RB.

If you're looking at going with conversion cylinders in a C&B revolver you're much better off getting a repro of a Remington New Model Army The Kirst cylinders are five shot with a safety false chamber for resting the hammer when holstered. The R&D cylinders are six shot. I shoot a pair of Remington's with R&D conversion cylinders in Cowboy Action matches. I shoot full house blackpowder loads that are very close to the original frontier period loading for the .45 Colt Cartridge. I get good accuracy with the conversions and the Remington design is stronger than the open top Colt design and allows more aggressive loads. I chose the R&D's over the Kirst cylinders because I sometimes like to switch back to shooting the revolvers as percussion pistols With the R&D's going from cartridge to percussion is simply a matter of swappiung out cylinders. The Kirst Conversions are also great and if I were looking at converting my revolvers permanantly to cartridge guns I would choose the Kirsts. I also have a pair of repro 1875 Remington revolvers so not really a need to permanently convert my NMA's.

i have a kirst cilender for a pitta 58 rem should aney bodey be interested pm me

TN.Frank said:
They are making a conversion cylinder for the little Remington .31cal pocket revolvers(steel frame only) in .32S&W, that'd be pretty cool to play with but remember to use only black powder or "cowboy" smokeless loads, no "modern" loads should be used and no jacketed bullets.
I agree that it would be cool but you're back to the mismatch of bore to bullet. The Dixie catalog lists the bore as .310 and groove diameter as .326" while .32 S&W bullets run .312". They'd barely touch the top of the lands. Since I handload for the .32 S&W long, I can attest that you can't load a bullet larger than .315" into that case and that would still be .011" smaller than groove diameter. Too bad, it would be cool. :shake:

Mike Weber said:
snippy: I chose the R&D's over the Kirst cylinders because I sometimes like to switch back to shooting the revolvers as percussion pistols With the R&D's going from cartridge to percussion is simply a matter of swappiung out cylinders. The Kirst Conversions are also great and if I were looking at converting my revolvers permanantly to cartridge guns I would choose the Kirsts.
:confused:
I don't understand this. Swapping a Kirst for the original cylinter is just as fast as swapping the R&D. Pull the cylinder pin and out it comes.

Thats if you're just using the Kirst cylinder. If I were going with the Kirsts I would have gone with the full cartridge conversion including ejector rods and loading gates this would have permanently altered the revolvers.

I checked on conversions for my Ruger Old Army and '58 Remington 'Buffalo' but dang at the cost- have to have money to burn for them.
:shake:

Back