• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

connecticut valley arms

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got a Frontier from the mid 80's too, like I said in another post, never fails to put a smile on my face every time I take it out for a shoot.

FWIW... in the early 70's CVA BP revolvers, locks and barrels came from Santa Barbara Sistemas head quartered in Madrid. While they have factories in several cities in Spain, none are in Jukar.

No "Kentucky Hunter" comes up in any of my old catalogs or wholesale price sheets (1972-1989). I don't have all of them, but unless it was a one or two year or so model could you be referring to the Hawken Hunter that was a catalog item in the late 80's? The Frontier Rifle was a late 70's introduction BTW.

WA

kentucky hunter is a sweet looking rifle! I found one for $100 but when i called the place had already sold it.

They are half stock kentucky rifles. Real purdy too!

I own more recent models and as others have said the locks are cheap and need tweeking but the barrels do shoot well. If you like you CVA enough to spend some money on it L&R makes a high quality replacment lock, I put one on my .50 Kentucky.

Don

L&R makes a high quality replacment lock, I put one on my .50 Kentucky.

How'd that fit? Was it a drop-in? Any inletting needed? Mine is working OK, but when the frizzen wears out it'll be time to upgrade.

Never owned or shot a CVA anything but I can almost guarantee you an L&R lock is better. Probably much better. :thumbsup:

Flintlock that is, even though this is the percussion board. :hmm:

L&R lock is better. Probably much better. :thumbsup:

Of course! I was concerned mostly about fit. When it comes to carving I can turn a square peg into a round hole, and a pile of tinder. :redface:

You should be able to switch locks without any problems to speak of. Maybe a little sandpaper just to tweak the inlet!

You will need to do a little inlet work as the main spring is wider than the factory one. They include directions with the lock. Its not difficult at all but you do need to work slow and careful.

Don

The Kentucky Hunter came out about 91 or 92. A friend bought one. Looked good and shot good.

our cva hawken still runs the original CVA Lock. We did replace the sear? some years ago as it chipped a corner off.

Zonie is right..the problem normally isn't with the guns..it's with the previous owners who didn't clean them properly from the beginning. I have a CVA kentucky 45 cal. I LOVE that rifle. It's light, accurate and reliable as the day is long. I purchased the above mentioned rifle about 10 yrs ago froma fellow who knew the front stuffers very well..and kept her nice, clean and rust free for me. I've had three CVAs in the past.. all of which were good rifles. The only Issue I ever had with any of mine ( all percussions by the way) was the locks, they seemed to gum up and not work properly after a few months of setting around. I had to work the lock a few times from firing to position to half cock ( safety) and then all the way down to the nipple. If i didn't do that..the lock wouldn't catch. I had a Traditions Penn. rifle did the same thing.. weird eh?

S.kenton said:
Zonie is right..the problem normally isn't with the guns..it's with the previous owners who didn't clean them properly from the beginning. I have a CVA kentucky 45 cal. I LOVE that rifle. It's light, accurate and reliable as the day is long. I purchased the above mentioned rifle about 10 yrs ago froma fellow who knew the front stuffers very well..and kept her nice, clean and rust free for me. I've had three CVAs in the past.. all of which were good rifles. The only Issue I ever had with any of mine ( all percussions by the way) was the locks, they seemed to gum up and not work properly after a few months of setting around. I had to work the lock a few times from firing to position to half cock ( safety) and then all the way down to the nipple. If i didn't do that..the lock wouldn't catch. I had a Traditions Penn. rifle did the same thing.. weird eh?

My brothers did the same thing. We de-greased it, loosened up the screws and then reset them, used a LIGHT spray of birchwood casey barricade and havent had that issue in years.

I think some fouling gets into the little hole the fly sits in and it holds the fly in place rather than letting it flop around like its supposed to.

a little inlet work as the main spring is wider than the factory one.

Thanks.
That I should be able to handle, as long as it is underneath and not visible. They sure make accurate barrels even if the fit and finish is lacking.

Lizardo said:
The Kentucky Hunter came out about 91 or 92. A friend bought one. Looked good and shot good.

Interesting... thanks for the info. Probably why they don't show up in my catalogs that stop at 1989. Other than a Siber pistol from 88/89 and a couple of mid 80's Squirrel rifles I had, all my CVA's have been 1970's vintage. Since CVA was using some Dikar Bergara barrels from at least the mid 80's, I have to wonder about how safe those firearms are. The sidelock failures I've read about were 4 or 5 models made from 1995 to 2004 though (and of course the dozen or so different models of inlines made from 1995 well into the 2000's).

i've seen blown up custom made rifles and tc hawkens.

It only takes a bit of stupidity to make them go up in smoke.

The on that has my attention is the 410 SxS. As far as I know they're the only company that's made one. I've used 410 SxS cartridge guns for 35 years on ptarmigan and snowshoe hare, and they're about perfect for my needs. It only follows that I'd love a muzzleloading version.

As soon as I can find one in great shape at the right price, I'll know for sure.

Maybe so, but stupidity on the part of the manufacturer in shipping guns that are unsafe takes the chance of failure way up.

no one knows of a slip up until something happens.

Dont think the american made guns never had any failures.

I had an adapter kit blow apart on me after 7 shots and the company i talked to, was extremely upset and found what the problem was and a few days after this happened to me, went and changed their machinist that used to build them.

Unless they are recalled guns, they are safe.

buck rogers said:
I was wondering if some of you folk's could give me some info on these front stuffer's? I see some of the
older one's for sale on the net pretty regularly & was wondering about their quality. Thanks

Rick

IMO they're o.k.

I don't like the drum bolster at all. Prone to misfires.

I prefer the snail bolster like on T/C and Lyman

:2

HD

Back