• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Conicals

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

btech

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get some conicals for my 44 revolvers? Neither TOW or Dixie have any. Really don't wanna get into casting my own.

Nope, sorry, I don't know. And the corker is that your chambers dictate what would work for you.
I'm looking into how I can produce bullets for the 1858 Pietta .44's.
They have those chambers at like .446" or so diameter and need about a .445" diameter tail end to slip into the chamber and a bigger diameter up front to shear off on the chamber mouth. So, bullets could have their hind sides run into a .445 sizer (if I had one) or a suitable existing mold could be altered (if I had one).
It might be better for me just to get a .445 sizer and then play around with whatever mold looks like it might work, like the Lee 220 grain and some .45ACP designs.

TOW has a mold to make a .451 revolver conical. That's the size round ball I shoot.

Bought a brand spanking new pIETTA 1858 last summer. The Chambers are all .451 A true .451 ball will not shave a ring. One of my chambers is a bit out of round, being almost .452 one way. I guess if you have a pietta, you had best check your chambers.

Took my new peitta out for a quick test fire and it took .451 and shaved a VERY tiny ring. .457 was a bit of a tough load but worked AND my buffalo bullet conicals for my ROA (.457) fit excellent and shot well. Might try a buffalo .457?

I still need to get a box of .454 and see if they are the sweet load as the .451 ring was smaller than I prefer and .457 too tight (may stress lever)

Ready maid conicals for revolvers are scarce as hens teeth though Dixie gun works or some other on-line vendor may still sell them. I gave up trying to buy them and bought what I needed to cast my oun.

Don

I've not tried them yet but have some cast .45 ACP bullets that weigh right at 200 grains that are the right diameter for Pietta cylinders.
They are flat pointed and I think just might work. Mike D.

If they were cast for a centerfire cartridge, they will be hard not soft and 'shaving lead' may be difficult. Plus it may damage the loading lever if the diameter is oversize for your Pietta.

good post always interesting to read bp revolver info. I use .457 lee in my roa and .454 lee slugs in my '58 rems.

I took both my .44 Pietta's , 58 target and 60 Army out in the shop and plug gauged them.
The 58 will be able to handle the .45 ACP conicals so will hopefully get to give them a try in the AM. I will report back of how well they function. I've been meaning to try them for some time now and was glad of the reminder for tomorrow.

The Lee 200gr conical is perfect for your gun, and casting them is so easy you would wonder why you never wanted to before. I was also reluctant when I got started 30 years ago, but it's cheap and easy (and dare I say it...fun?)
Here's a few I cast a couple months ago....
9442236890_18b653b30b.jpg

What will I need to get started casting my own? I actually have a stash of 58 Minie balls that are way to big to be used. So I have lead to start with.

just my opine you should hang onto the minie balls for trade purpose. you may trade for some lee mold slugs for you revolver.
you'll need a casting pot, flux (beeswax does well, paraffin will do) a dipper, mold and of course lead. lead can be bought from scrapyards, use soft lead not wheel weights. dental lead does great, old roof and shower stall sheeting etc.
it's rewarding to make your own and you'll be surprised as the increased wallop you will get from that .44 with a stout load of 3f.
good luck blizzard.

Do you think Hornady 50 cal. sabot bullets would work? I have some XTP 44-240 HP's. Obviously you would remove the plastic sabot before use.

I am no expert on pressures, etc but most percussion pistols were designed to fire a round ball or a "historically correct" conical that had a long tapered nose and a very short driving band- the point being that there wasn't a whole lot of obduration(sic?) required for the projectile to enter the bore. Hard alloy lead with long driving bands- theoretically it ought to increase pressure, maybe increase it a lot.
A lot of local gun shows will have some local chap selling bullets he cast. I had one guy that must have bought bulk lead because he could cast them and sell them for less than I could do myself. I asked him if I supplied a mold- could he cast some special bullets. "Not a problem" says he, this guy bought the mold himself just to have it.
Look around for a guy like that, make sure it is pure lead.
Casting your own- I use a Coleman stove outdoors, a Lee mold, ashort stick, a dipper and a pot and a towel to toss the cast bullets. Simple operation.

I don't know what the sabot-less diameter is on those but think at 240 grains they would be a bit heavy and long for much powder capacity behind them.
Seems to me like the bullets around 200 grains are about the right balance of size and weight for power and speed to make a decent load for hunting or target work.
If your chambers are chamfered a bit and the bullets are no more than .001 oversize there should be no problem loading them. I also don't think one needs pure lead. Mine are of WWs water dropped and about 15 BHN so will give them a try and report back.
I think these flat points will be far better killers and at least as accurate as the round nose offerings for these guns and besides that I already have the mold on hand.
The other plus is these bullets have a heel radius on the base which makes them easy to load in chamber or case. MD.

A 200 gr. REAL mould might be the perfect fit for your revolvers. The base is smaller in diameter and each band is a little larger so it is adaptable.

I know this isn't the clearest pic, but the one on the right is supposed to be an actual 44 caliber conical dug at one of Sherman's camps.

Bullets.jpg

Back