• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Confederate revolver, true or fake

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve read that in the old days of collecting, guys would prank each other by stamping cs or csa on an old colt or Whitney or something. These guns may be mistaken for the real thing with years of patina on them.

One of the famous gun fakes was a Luger (or a group of them). Story was it was spare parts put together at the end of WWII.

Some of the best Luger experts in the world spent tens of thousands on examples and then someone sleuthed out it was all fake.

Have seen plenty of supposed CS arms over the last 5 decades. Only 2 were proven real and only the Richmond Musketoon stood out as the real deal.

How about a sawed of 1900's Hardware Store brand, double 16 gauge SG with both CSA and WF!!! Hardest thing during a appraisal to break the news to new owner they have been had. (Why its best to paid in advance for consults.)

One of the most faked group of firearms and that is why anyone contemplating the purchase of such should tread lightly and employ a good expert.

I will concede that it is plausible CS and CSA were both used to mark Confederate arms. I do know however, that CS was used exclusively for marking the Spiller & Burr revolver, as set forth by the “System of Inspection for Revolving Pistols manufactured for the War Dept.” on the examples that were actually stamped. Some examples were not marked at all.

An honest gunsmith you use for your own firearms could be a start. Have him check the threads for metric or US. Also, have him search for any Italian proof marks. Have him check the patina. New or 100 year old natural. He'll know an EXPERT who can correctly determine REAL or FAKE.

I'm knew here so I don't know if I can say what web site it is on but the description clearly states it is a fake confederate clone of unknown manufacture. If it is okay for me to post the web site I will.

My new model army has kept its screws intact and I’d say the integrity of them is better than decent. I’m definitely not saying that is an original confederate revolver. I am saying not to base your opinion on the condition of it, rather be specific when looking over the manufacturer’s details.

Attachments

• DDBE040E-A1FA-4CEC-A757-40C1EB0B89B2.png
    DDBE040E-A1FA-4CEC-A757-40C1EB0B89B2.png
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
Prolly gonna catch heck for bringing this up. Have a well used original 1858 few like to hold for long. Used to take it to shows to see folks reaction to it. Most almost invariably said it felt weird and called it a "blood gun" others said confederate capture without suggestion. I actually dislike it myself and keep it in an out building . Go figure.

I call fake from what I can see in the pix. The screw heads, the wear...all looks overdone. And the worst is the misaligned C.S.A. with periods.

Back