• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Confederate revolver, true or fake

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bornintheussr

45 Cal.
Reaction score
what you guys think?

C61100A__91260.jpg
C61100B__35892.jpg
C61100C__05101 (1).jpg
C61100D__87844.jpg

it's currently for sale by a dealer, no any details were given to me
Suggest plenty of detailed photographs or a hands on examination by an expert. I’m not an expert by anyone’s standard. Last ‘Confederate revolver’ I looked at was owned by a niece’s FIL. Amazingly, every screw I checked was metric and the major components all interchanged with an Uberti. Niece’s FIL was not happy.

Caveat emptor.

A reputable dealer in antique firearms would have the provenance or history of the piece. Especially a Confederate firearm, which along with U.S. Marine Corps items are highly desirable and the most faked.

Proceed with caution.

I think WWI/II US Bayonets are the most copied item, mass produced in China and then they get "textured"

I saw one that was sold as a genuine WT (Wilde Tool) the handles were all wrong for WT which were extremum distinctive and he paid $400 for it.

The cylinder has too many bolt stops. The screws show no signs of "jimmied" slots. Unhook the ramrod from the barrel and look for ITALY. Also, check for metric threads on the screws. And above all, do not think you are smarter than a reputable experts in Reb arms. If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is.

I once saw a genuine high condition Gunnison and Griswold at an antiques auction. IT was appraised as a reproduction. I did not know what I was looking at and let it pass. The appraiser had a shill buy it for $125. The next week it was for sale at a local guns shop for $14K. The auction house did not care. Maybe they got a cut?

The appraiser got sick and died within the year.

Back