• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Common mans firearm, Louisiana, 1800-1820?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newtothis

40 Cal.
Reaction score
(Firstly, I wasn't sure where to post this. If this is the wrong area, please move)

Perhaps my google-fu is lacking, but I can't seem to find much info as to what firearms were common in Southern Louisiana (New Orleans area) in the late 1700-early 1800s. I assume that being a trade hub nearly anything would have been attainable, but what would likely be owned by the average lower class man of the time? My ancestors would likely have been such folks, and I'd like to know what they may have used to put food on the table. I know that in more recent history the shotgun, mostly cheap old single barrels, were resoundingly common, so I would assume some sort of "poor boy" smooth bore, maybe of French influence?

If anyone has any ideas or could direct me to relevant reading I would appreciate it!

In asking such questions, certain details need to be established before any sort of meaningful answer can be put forward. You mention lower class, but not ethnic group. Is your portrayal Native American, free black, Creole, British/Scots-Irish/American, Hispanic, Cajun, or something else? Has the person you've selected to portray lived elsewhere, or always in Louisiana?

Having said that, there's nothing that would prevent let's say a man of French Canadian descent from carrying an American style long rifle. (I might not choose that arm, myself, however.) But ethnicity might have a small bearing or influence on one's choices. Certainly economic status would. Guns are expensive.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not really trying to create a persona or exactly duplicate an ancestor or anything. I guess I'm just looking for what I would likely have had, had I been alive then.

Your questions make me realize how little I know about my family history. About anyone past my grandparents, I am totally clueless.

I suppose this may be an exercise in futility till I manage a bit more research on just who I am, genetically and economically speaking.

Ok. Did some digging. Turns out the first man in my paternal Lineage hopped a boat from England and ended up in Natchez Mississippi in 1775 where he owned a sawmill. So that answers a few questions.

Also apparently the 2nd generation moved about 100 miles south and we have been here sense. Not exactly a family of travelers I suppose.

I've often wondered the same thing Newtothis. (Grew up in New Orleans and still live in the suburbs.)

Like you,I suspect there was a wide variety of firearms in a port city like New Orleans, How could there not be with ship visits from many countries and keelboats coming down the Mississippi? A man of means could likely obtain about any sort of firearm desired.

But what would the average Joe likely have? I think you nailed it when you said "so I would assume some sort of "poor boy" smooth bore, maybe of French influence?". The city is surrounded by miles of marshland and swamp. Waterfowl were plentiful and a diet staple year round. Small game and deer are readily taken with a smooth bore in the up close and personal nature of the terrain.

If he had enough resources to start a sawmill he may have had obtained several guns, including a rifle and a pistol. My guess is that the least expensive would probably have been a trade musket or military musket picked up in England before sailing for the Americas.

Well the common man would have been shooting a flintlock. Percussion caps date more from the 1830's. Shotguns have always been a good choice. You can feed your family with shooting shot at birds and a roundball will knock off big bad things.

It's common to think "French" when considering New Orleans and S.E. Louisiana in the late 1700's/early 1800's. However, there was substantial immigration from Germany during that period, perhaps even greater than from France.

Louisiana was Spanish territory from 1762 to 1802 when Bonaparte put his brother on the Spanish throne and took the territory back. The Spanish were pretty strict about ordinary citizens owning arms, preferring to garrison soldiers in population centers for their protection. The Spanish military was also unwilling to send new arms to the frontier. The colonies had to make do with well-worn or obsolete firearms. If a private person was allowed to have a firearm during this period it would most likely be miqulet escopeta. Only the wealthy or well connected would have anything beside blades or pikes.

The French Acadians in the area of Nova Scotia were forced to leave by the British in the 1755-1765 time period and many of them eventually ended up in Louisiana.

Some estimate that over 11,000 were removed.

I suspect these people were well versed in using firearms for their survival.

Dutch and sweadish traders were found in this area too. English guns aboard merchant ships would have resembled the Brown Bess. Look up officers fusils as a verson of this type of gun. So called chiefs guns were of s basic style that would be seen in middle class trades men arms. A forty to fifty year old arm would not be unheard of, but you may think in terms of twenty to thirty years old as top end.

What was a "common man"?
Where in Louisiana?
Port or river towns, the gun could have been anything....The people could have been anything or anyone From anywhere....

after 1812 it could be a 1803 harpers ferry in .54. picked up after the battle.

Back