• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Comments on this wheelock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I viewed all the photos and it is interesting but seems odd to me that the shoulder rest is convex rather than concave.

I viewed all the photos and it is interesting but seems odd to me that the shoulder rest is convex rather than concave.
It was a trend for wheellock carbines. Potentially to work with armor.
29B2C256-D336-4706-A5A3-8068126858B7.jpeg
Wheellock muzzle-loading carbine (1640-1650) (1).jpg
MAPaddleButt.jpeg

Thank you! That wheelock, if the description was correct, was deemed a great investment for the new owner and I am sure will be a prize for his/her family for generations. Perhaps the owner will join our pre-flintlock community and share their shooting and/or ownership experiences. Obvious, wheelocks are my favorite generation of firearms.

Several other reminders that may jar your memory Sam:
Principles Office
Belt/razor strop
Dad!

Me too: 4th grade, jumped out of the classroom window, ran across 2 major traffic streets and hid in my tree house with 2 buddies.
p.s.: Neighbors 1/4 mile away could hear my mom screaming my name....my dad never let me forget that incident.....true story

I congratulate you! You own what I consider the most evolutionary firearm in history as well as esthetically beautiful!

First and foremost, the wheelock was the first firearm in history capable of being loaded and primed, ready to fire at the discretion of the shooter simply by pulling the trigger, effective on horseback as well as concealment. I don't need to elaborate any further as there are plenty of other documentation. Personally the esthetics of any (your) wheelock supports your description as a beautiful gun. It certainly is...wish I had first option. Jealousy will get me nowhere.

If you search "iron pyrite" on eBay, you will have an abundance of inexpensive choices. Also search "iron pyrite" on this forum and you could spend hours researching.

The description in the advertisement stated "has a pivot hole in the forend but I could not find the yolk". My thoughts via research that the "hole" may be for a forward bolt that attaches to a saddle ring bar as in the photo below. The rear of the saddle ring bar is secured by a bolt into the lock. Easily fabricated. My reasoning is that your short barrel carbine may be modeled after those used by cavalry. Again my reasoning only and I am sure others that are more educated, will chime in. Note photo below.
Good luck with your new wheelock and please keep us inside your loop!

a-very-nice-antique-17th-century-german-paddle-butt-wheellock-carbine-with-the-townmark-of-ess...JPG

Also for your interest:

Thank you Sir!! That would explain the mystery hole. I didn't think it likely it was for a rampart yoke. It's a carbine, not a wall gun! So a bar is probably what it was for.

I have some cube pyrite I got off Ebay but need to find a way to cut it up into usable pieces. I have a friend in Jacksonville who is a retired lapidary, so will be consulting him about the best way to do that.

Will keep you informed!

Thank you Sir!! That would explain the mystery hole. I didn't think it likely it was for a rampart yoke. It's a carbine, not a wall gun! So a bar is probably what it was for.

I have some cube pyrite I got off Ebay but need to find a way to cut it up into usable pieces. I have a friend in Jacksonville who is a retired lapidary, so will be consulting him about the best way to do that.

Will keep you informed!

Diamond cutter wheel on a Dremel tool....check out many posts by "Flint62Smoothie" !

LOL !!! OK. Would you guys leave him alone. He just got the gun in his possession. Let him enjoy it for a while. Ya'll sound like vultures. LOL Actually, if I were still in my working years, I probably would have bought it for myself.

I've always been partial to dark stock stains. And the stain on this Ash stock looks great. For some reason, I've thought that these dark, almost black-ish stains look especially good on guns pre-1700.

A cavalry style sling ring would indeed look good - and correct - on this carbine, if desired.

Rick

Back