• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Colt Screwdriver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all. How many of you are old enough to remember this screwdriver? :haha:
Dixie Gun Works sold these Colt surplus screwdrivers back in the late 1960's and early 1970's. And maybe a little later. I remember in their catalog Turner Kirkland mentioning that everyone should buy these now, as there won't be any more after this supply runs out. I bought one back then, but subsequently lost it many years ago.
I've never been able to locate another one, till now. Accidentally found this for sale on the Internet. So I snatched it up immediately. It's been used, but still in good condition. I remember this screwdriver would fit all the screws on any Colt revolver (and clones) from the Patterson to the Peacemakers. And maybe even later including the 1911's (?). Anyway, it was the handiest screwdriver for C&B revolvers I ever used. Even fit all the slots on the Remington's, etc.
But I've never seen a copy/re-make of this screwdriver. So, my question to you guys (and gals) is: Do you think a re-make of this screwdriver would sell today? Of course less the Colt logo and prancing stallion which I'm sure would still be a patent infringement. It appears to be just a stamping that has been hardened to screwdriver specs and blued. I'm surprised Pedersoli or other has not tried to duplicate this. :idunno:
Anyway, I was thinking of having these made and selling them :hmm: Do you think they would sell? Market too small? 8-10 dollars sound reasonable?
Thanks for any input. I know this Forum would likely be the best avenue to ask this question.
Rick. :hatsoff:

I've got one or two but they're rusty. Mine came in the box with Colt DA revolvers.

I never used them; opted for a real screwdriver.

"How many of you are old enough to remember this screwdriver?" You kidding...Vetustior Humo! Most boxed Colts came with one back in the dim, dark past! Wish I'd been smart enough to pick up a lot of the cool 'trinkets' that used to be listed in Dixie'sold catalogs!

OK. Thanks guys for your responses. Think I'll "pass" on my original idea. :haha:
But glad I posed the question here. :hatsoff:
Thanks again. Rick.

I see them all the time at gun shows, along with a caliber measurer, that you insert into the muzzle of the gun and gives you what caliber it is. kinda shaped like a elongated triangle.

Had one with my .22 cal New Frontier single action. Kept it attached to the holster. Unfortunately the gun, holster and screwdriver were stolen out of my car back in the 80's. :(

Just bought the $6.59 shipped one. Some sellers have to be insane for the same thing used $25! Buyers beware!

Think I paid $1.25 for the original one I bought from Dixie back in the late 1960's. :haha:
They are real handy to carry in a belt pouch to the Range or in the field. Can't remember how many times I loaned mine out at the Range. Probably how I lost it. :haha: But you need to put a leather throng through the hole. Otherwise they tend to get lost.
Thanks again Jim for the heads-up. Rick. :hatsoff:

I see what you mean about getting lost easy. I got mine now and it is tiny, much smaller than I imagined. The ebay seller promised Fri delivery and I got it Friday!

Brownell's has several brands of hollow ground bits or screwdrivers made for gun screws. Walmercado or the lumber yard does NOT. Gun screws have parallel sided slots. Wood screws have a tapered slot. A couple of bucks for a screwdriver set that will last forever is worth ruining a screw head.
Bunk

Screenshot_20200307-011333_eBay.jpg

Is it this one?

I paid $23 , oops. I don't see any others on Ebay. I thought it was neat . Something to put in the range bag to make sure no screws come loose.

Hi Stan
Can't believe this Thread started over 6 years ago. Where has the time gone ?
Here is a pic of the pocket size screwdriver originally discussed.
Rick
DSC00597 (Medium).JPG
DSC00598 (Medium).JPG

I have several of those. They were advertising promotional give aways. Interesting but intrinsic value is near zip.

Neat but I wouldn't pay for one. As stated above they also came in the box with every pistol Colt sold. Craftsman had one at one time , don't know if they still do. If I remember it had 4 blades and they were given away at trade shows and sold for less that $1.

Back