• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cold weather PRB lubes?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Professor

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm hoping to do some cold weather PRB shooting at biathalons, (assuming I start getting the stomach lard off...). :grin:

I need to work up a load without cleaning before next shot to save time. But will also work for ca. 40o- - 10o F temps.

A few questions?

Will I need two different lubes/loads? For that possible range of temps.

I'm aware of Stumpy's moose milk/snot and variations

Do I want to try different PRB/patches at different temps?

How does barrel warming as you shoot, effect things, if at all?

Sorry for the questions. I've worked up a "one shot " load hunter for quite a while in several guns and have not needed to track/shoot again quickly in cold weather. I always clean between shots as I leave my loaded barrel clean/loaded, until meat is certain.

And yes, I need range time in COLD weather regardless.

In advance, thank you too the sages who will share.

P.S. So far, 32" 1-66 TC perc. barrel, davis trigger, GOEX (3F) or Swiss(2F) , CCI caps, Stumpys snot (as it's warm, sort of, now), Hornaday .535, 0.015 patch. Two guns as above to choose from a hawken and a renegade, I think I like the longer pull on the hawken............but seem to take the renegade hunting...

I have no idea how Stumpys snot is at those temps but if it is still pliable, use it. If not what about the mink oil Track sells for patch lube? I would think it would be fine for what you want here.

if it ain't bitter cold at a biathalon I use spit patches...ya only load when you get to the station, an shoot right there,,,works fer me,,,I jus use lube fer huntin...

you can kiss the lock, but,never ever tongue the barrel! :shocked2: :haha:

I shoot at winter shoots most weekends and never had a problem usin spit patches,,,

like I said huntin,I use bear/deer tallow but any other time jus spit,,..

I have hunted the Moose Snot to 15ºF below. Reloaded after four hours in it and all worked fine (except my fingers). That deer felt like it was 180º inside!

One problem beside the cold is that the humidity is way down and barrels get "stickier" between shots. With the biathlon (can't use a ball block) you'll maybe do best dipping a strip twice, dried each time afterwards, in the Moose Juice and leaving it a bit damp in a baggie until the shoot day. The oils will not freeze, and you can still load from the bag. I carry mine in a beeswaxed (inside) deerhide pouch.

When shooting in below freezing temperatures, I use alcohol as my patch lube. It works both as a lube, and as a cleaning solvent. I have also used Young Country 101 Lube in these freezing temperatures, and it also works. I do recommend using a more liquid such lube, ie., add some oil to the lube to make it flow better, but I was able to get the stiffened patches down the barrel in spite of the effect of the temperatures. Vegetable or olive oil seem to work to rather low temperatures. But, a friend who works part time in Alaska recommends using a Synthetic Airplane Motor oil for really cold weather shooting, mixing it with beeswax to make a lube that will stick to the walls of the barrel.

Keeping your hands warm while loading the gun is the bigger problem. I wear wool gloves with the finger tips removed, and then put my hand inside an oversize sheepskin mitten to keep the fingers warm, too.

I'm not sure who to attribute this recipe to but on the range, I use equal parts Murphy's Oil Soap, windshield washer fluid, and Heet (automotive gas line drier - pure alcohol).

For hunting, I like TOW mink oil.

I've tested both to 30 below zero and have had good success. I'd think TOW mink oil would be more convenient at a biathalon.

I've used Stumpy's Moose Snot at temps down to zero with no problem. The tin I left in my truck was pretty stiff at -18 though.

For below freezing temperature I use pure lard. but crisco or olive oil should work as well.

I just bought an 8 oz tin of TOW mink oil grease, and as an experiment I stuck it in the freezer. Still easy to apply to a patch. I also froze my usual deer tallow/olive oil blend (2/1). Makes me glad I bought that mink oil stuff.

Gotta shoot it to make sure, but I think I just found a new favorite lube.

As of latly I've been using Olive oil with very good success, I'm eating a little crow on this one, my first use of it was bad.
I tried it a couple of years ago for a short time with not very good success at all. I even bad mouthed it.
I've now worked up groups that are 1" and sometimes better on my good days. I can't believe I'm going to use it this year for opening day of our MZ, but with the consistent groups I've been getting (and that great first shot out of a cold clean barrel) I can't not use it..I just have to watch how much I use on my patches (light coating front & back rubbed in well).

Should be very good also in cold weather, slick stuff, patched balls slide down the barrel very nice with red ticking...

Mad Professor said:
I'm hoping to do some cold weather PRB shooting at biathalons, (assuming I start getting the stomach lard off...). :grin:

I need to work up a load without cleaning before next shot to save time. But will also work for ca. 40o- - 10o F temps.

A few questions?

Will I need two different lubes/loads? For that possible range of temps.

I'm aware of Stumpy's moose milk/snot and variations

Do I want to try different PRB/patches at different temps?

How does barrel warming as you shoot, effect things, if at all?

Sorry for the questions. I've worked up a "one shot " load hunter for quite a while in several guns and have not needed to track/shoot again quickly in cold weather. I always clean between shots as I leave my loaded barrel clean/loaded, until meat is certain.

And yes, I need range time in COLD weather regardless.

In advance, thank you too the sages who will share.

P.S. So far, 32" 1-66 TC perc. barrel, davis trigger, GOEX (3F) or Swiss(2F) , CCI caps, Stumpys snot (as it's warm, sort of, now), Hornaday .535, 0.015 patch. Two guns as above to choose from a hawken and a renegade, I think I like the longer pull on the hawken............but seem to take the renegade hunting...

Try *pure* Neatsfoot oil NO PETROLEUM ADDED or Mink oil ect as sold by Track of the Wolf.
Water based lubes don't do well in the cold.

Dan

Back