• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cold weather patch lube.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used Bore Butter for a spell at one point in the dim past and consider it to be the dregs. I used TOW mink oil from Georgia to Va. and WV. But here in Maine I've only been out once for a deer hunt and that was a few years ago. Now, no one, and I mean NO ONE, has ever accused Maine of not being cold. But I have been to the range in hip deep snow with no lube problems with mink oil.

You guys have a lot more ambition than me I'll tell ya's. 15 (!) degrees out? I'm not going hunting, I'm going to the supermarket and get some Angus steaks! I'm not quite that tough anymore.

NY last season left the truck @ -3, we're high and cold,windy the other side of the divide, you don't do it in the cold you don't do it. Last winter plowing @ -28
20210213_085231.jpg

Took my flintlock rifle to the range today with below freezing temperatures, used straight winter windshield washer fluid as patch lube. It worked great! Worked for clean up too. I used the cheap blue stuff.

I ran a test on cold weather patch lubes about 8 years ago. I would lube a patch and let it sit on the dash of my pick up overnight in the driveway in well below zero weather. Bore butter was the first to freeze, followed by olive oil second.this year was my first year using TOTW mink oil. From what I have noticed it does get a little stiffer in below zero temps but still remains very slippery.

Last edited:
Plain old olive oil for me, I can hold the patch in the palm of my hand or between my lips for a second while pouring powder or reaching for a ball. I also started wearing my bag and horn under my coat or matchcoat. Here in Minnesota half my hunting is done in cold weather 40 tp minus 15 below. I'm staying in the cabin any colder than that if possible. I try to use only primitive, time period gear, otherwise a small tin containing patches and a few ball carried in a inside shiert pocket would be dandy.

I use 7:1 Ballistol and water dry patching exclusively. The caveat is, you gotta swab between shots. While I've never needed a 2nd shot hunting, I do carry some dry cleaning patches which I'd use spit on to swab if need be. My #2 choice is Mr. Flintlocks lube, if I was shooting where swabbing between shots was Impractical. I read somewhere that it doesn't freeze.

I use patches soaked in 1:7 ballistol:water. I let em dry out for a couple days and they are ready.

Latest posts

Back