• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cold! Still Shoot?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I lived there for 4 years in the 80's and saw it get down to 17 degrees. Growing up in northern Jersey and being in my 30's I thought that it was still comfortable.
I grew up in Upstate New York, so I’ve seen some pretty cool weather, but not really cold, only -20°F. May start a thread and ask if anyone has shot a muzzleloader on the Moon, as I’ve never been there and doubt I’ll ever get there.

I personally find it miserable to shoot muzzleloaders when it’s cold.

View attachment 52917
My fingers get so numb and I can’t even feel the things right and end up spilling powder and dropping balls and it’s just not so nice.

Anyone else out there on the internet still shoot during the winter and if so what are some tips n’ tricks to do it without suffering?
Being in my 70's my hands get cold fast. I found that GLOMITS work for shooting. They are a fingerless glove with a mitten covering attached . The covering is attached on the back of the glove and pulls away easily exposing the fingers. Mine are wool lined with Thinsulate, and the mitten part has a velcro tab to keep it in place on the back of the glove.

I personally find it miserable to shoot muzzleloaders when it’s cold.

View attachment 52917
My fingers get so numb and I can’t even feel the things right and end up spilling powder and dropping balls and it’s just not so nice.

Anyone else out there on the internet still shoot during the winter and if so what are some tips n’ tricks to do it without suffering?
Learned in the Marines that proper clothing makes cold and extreme cold comfortable to work in. Hands and feet are most vulnerable at a range. Mickey mouse boots and old military cold weather gloves with trigger fingers. Keep core warm and hands stay warmer. Can be fun just need to have the right gear and a love of shooting. 😀

Ya all know talking bout shooting in the cold is great but why don't you stove side shooters get out and shoot the postal match? Maybe ya all have ice in the barrels of yer cva's. If ya all think this is a dig yer smart as you look. So get off yer butts an shoot the postal match.

I grew up in New Mexico and saw some cold weather there. Then shot a bit in the snows of Wyoming. Saw a bit of chilly weather in Utah. Had lots of fun popping bunnies in some weather near zero f.
Then I moved to Arkansas. In the humid conditions I found it harder to stay warm at twenty above then I ever felt in the west at zero.
All and all I’m good to about twenty. Below that I’d rather be by the fire.
I’ve camped in much colder but that’s why God created fire, and coffee by the fire in cold beats shivering on the firing line

Ya all know talking bout shooting in the cold is great but why don't you stove side shooters get out and shoot the postal match? Maybe ya all have ice in the barrels of yer cva's. If ya all think this is a dig yer smart as you look. So get off yer butts an shoot the postal match.
I went to my shoot today with full intentions of shooting the December postal shoot but forgot to bring the target.😖 Next week. I did manage to win our Doc Harrison Memorial Shoot and a 15 lb. turkey!🦃
20201206_132940.jpg

I went to my shoot today with full intentions of shooting the December postal shoot but forgot to bring the target.😖 Next week. I did manage to win our Doc Harrison Memorial Shoot and a 15 lb. turkey!🦃
View attachment 53202
Nice trophy .Had a turkey I won from canal fulton for thanksgiving.At least one guy shoots in the winter. Now enter the postal match.

I grew up in New Mexico and saw some cold weather there. Then shot a bit in the snows of Wyoming. Saw a bit of chilly weather in Utah. Had lots of fun popping bunnies in some weather near zero f.
Then I moved to Arkansas. In the humid conditions I found it harder to stay warm at twenty above then I ever felt in the west at zero.
All and all I’m good to about twenty. Below that I’d rather be by the fire.
I’ve camped in much colder but that’s why God created fire, and coffee by the fire in cold beats shivering on the firing line
Guess there are shooters and then there are shooters!

Being in the low desert in Arizona, that's when I do the lion's share of my shooting. We have sort of an opposite situation here. Shooting months are basically October or November through April or May. It's too hot to be out running around the rest of the year, unless you head up to the mountains.

Learned in the Marines that proper clothing makes cold and extreme cold comfortable to work in. Hands and feet are most vulnerable at a range. Mickey mouse boots and old military cold weather gloves with trigger fingers. Keep core warm and hands stay warmer. Can be fun just need to have the right gear and a love of shooting. 😀
Hat is just as important, and not some baseball cap either. Something wool, with useable earmuffs. Once saw thermal imaging demonstrating how much heat you can loose through your head. Think about how much warm blood goes through your brain.

Not prepared to go until warm weather comes back without shooting FDC so I shoot when I can snow and cold included. Snow shoes get me up back to access my target, ball trap and I burn powder!!!
Dress warm and use open finger glove with mitts and usually make out okay for ten shots or more. Load from the bag and prime from horn.
Have done one Biathlon in February for the last three years and had fun even though I seem to miss a lot.
Try it you'll have a good time!!
LBL

Attachments

• 87371F01-A8B7-40A3-8245-05B1C652DC28.jpeg
    87371F01-A8B7-40A3-8245-05B1C652DC28.jpeg
    141.6 KB · Views: 87

Latest posts

Back