• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Coin wrappers for shot?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeeinVA

45 Cal.
Reaction score
The penny wrapper may be too tight? But what about the dime wrapper? I think it may be a slick way to preload shot charges.. The smoothy i am talking about is my Potsdam .75 cal.. Off to Waalmart to picck up a bag of wrappers.. A whole bag is a buck

I used to make shot cartridges for my Bess by rolling onionskin typewriter paper around a dowel and wetting the seam with glue. Like Black HAnd - I tied the ends. Didn't really change the shot pattern vs. wads and cards (I still used a card on top). Coin roll paper should be a bit tougher.

I tried to use dime wrappers for shot cartridges without much luck. There are two kinds of dime wrappers out there. There "preformed wrappers" which have a crimped end and preformed into a cylinder. There are also "flat wrappers" which are just a long tubular roll of paper which is perforated at a set length.

The preformed wrappers are too large to fit in 12 gauge bore. The wrappers which come in as a flat roll of tubular paper are too strong to make a useful shot cartridge.

However, I use the dime wrappers for carrying per-measured charges of powder into the field. There is a picture of the dime wrappers in use at
http://www.muzzleloadingshotguns.com/articles/takingmuzzleloadingshotcartridgesintothefield

The dime wrappers are cheap, so I do not mind throwing them away after I dump the powder charge into the bore (with out littering of course).

Last edited by a moderator:
They will work. But you have to handle them with care. My neighbor uses them for both shot and powder. He uses a drop of hot melt glue on the shot tubes, and a little tape on the powder tubes to keep them from opening. :hmm:

Musketman said:
I use free coin wrappers from the bank...

It's a strong paper, I bet a nickle wrapper will do the trick in your 10 guage, I use penny wrappers in my bess for pre-measured shot cups...

If I recall, Musketman also perforated the wrappers with lines of pin holes partway down the sides to help them open up on firing.

To me, it sounds like a lot of work for marginal results. I just carry my items in a Fowler Shot bag by Leatherman and my 2 flasks for powder and shot. I found the best advice on BP Shotgunning on Bob Spencers' BP Notebook site. He uses a lot of the experience of famous BP Shotgunner, Starr.
My Navy Arms 10ga SXS is a great shooter and easy to adjust the loads to suit each type of game or for Clay Birds at the local range.

I had success today with 5 cartridges I made by rolling wax paper around a 1/2 inch magic marker, tying the end with string, then adding shot, inserting cotton wad and powder - fold over powder end and secure with Magic Tape.
At the range I pulled the tape off - emptied the powder and rammed the cartridge to the bottom. Each one shot cleanly and there was no wax paper to be found after shooting. They were shot from a 16 ga fowler.

Back