• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Coach Pistols identification

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The "box lock" type of pistol shows up around 1750 when gunmakers tried moving the hammer from the side to the center in an effort to make pocket pistols easier to get out of said pocket. The squared chamber style came in around 1770, though I'm certain your Belgium made pair post dates that. Larger versions were also made, usually with screw off barrels and sometimes with spring bayonets attached below the barrel. Boom!;Stick!;cha-cha-cha! :thumbsup:

Wes/Tex said:
The "box lock" type of pistol shows up around 1750 when gunmakers tried moving the hammer from the side to the center in an effort to make pocket pistols easier to get out of said pocket. The squared chamber style came in around 1770, though I'm certain your Belgium made pair post dates that. Larger versions were also made, usually with screw off barrels and sometimes with spring bayonets attached below the barrel. Boom!;Stick!;cha-cha-cha! :thumbsup:
Thanks Wes, that certainly changes things a lot.
I have spent many hours on the internet and can't find anything remotely close. Perhaps its time to invest in some books, oh dear, another hobby!!! :thumbsup:

At a London dealer at the moment there are a single Twigg for 750 pounds and a cased set from Bennet for 5,250 pounds . :)

1601phill said:
At a London dealer at the moment there are a single Twigg for 750 pounds and a cased set from Bennet for 5,250 pounds . :)

London, maker marked will generally bring more than stock production liege pieces.

No argument here, I based my estiment on current internet auction sites on Belgium made late pocket pistols.... it is a conservitive value not retail from a gun dealer I based it this way because unless you are selling directly to a collector who will pay top dollar, dealers are the ones who would buy and they need to make a profit themselves. I hope actually that they will continue to stay in the family for years to come.

Back