• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Club Butt build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkmeyer

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I found a really nice piece of sugar maple and have gotten the warp and twist out of it and am ready to cut the rough shape. Does anyone know of a pattern for the butt section? I will be using a 46" Colrain 16 ga. and a doglock.
Thanks,
Dusty

TOW has an 8" profile of one, still small but getting bigger,there must be one out there if someone would be willing to share.

Grinslade's book on fowlers a number of club-butts in it. I don't know of any fullsized patterns available, but it wouldn't too difficult to draw one yourself from his pictures. If you don't have the book, I would suggest getting it - now that it is out in paperback it shouldn't be too expensive.

Flintlock Fowlers

Thanks tg,
I actually printed a copy of the club butt that TOW has for sale which helps a little except for proportions. I also have the fowler book which has quite a few club butt pictures as well as some dimensions. I also made a plywood stock using drop at heal & comb and trigger reach taken from a modern shotgun that fits me well. I am leaving enough extra material just in case. The sugar maple stock blank I found is very dense with some curl. It had a fair amount of twist and a little warp lengthwise but I was able to get it straight and true. I hope to receive the Colrain barrel on Monday or Tues. and then the fun begins. The doglock I ordered will not be here for about 60 days which will bring things to a screeeeching hault. I hope to have the gun ready for this falls seasons.
Dusty

Latest posts

Back