• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Inletting a Butt Plate and Other Questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Valkyrie

32 Cal.
Reaction score
So I’m ready to inlet the butt plate on the rifle I’m working on. Been watching and reading and still hesitant on starting. Add that sand castings of nickel silver are really not great. I went with that material because, again, I’m just going with a look and style of my own and no particular discipline.

Anyways. I had to order a new casting that won’t be here for a few days as the one I had was just too bad from the foundry to work with. It had really deep inclusions, areas where the metal contracted too far to shape level, etc.

But my big question first is, the top of the comb. I see some folks cut it flat. Others inlet it as a radius under the top of the butt plate. Which is the best way? Does it matter?

And I guess the next question is roughing in the cut. How does everyone lay out the shape to start with on the stock?

First step is to clean up the casting and most importantly have the surfaces that will be inlet smooth! Thats so you can make a good fit and not be fooled by all the rough edges.
I like the top tang to have a radius to guide the plate as it moves forward. It needn’t be full size, a 1/4” high but full width works.

I take a piece of thin cardboard like a cereal box and cut and trim it to fit inside the buttplate casting very closely. Then I lay this on the blank and trace where I want to saw. Then I saw it.

Many originals were simply sawn flat on the buttplate “return” area, or comb area. So it’s ok. But domed is better. But domed is harder.

Flat or radius under the top will both work. But I prefer to have that wood under the top. With it flat you have the screw going through a good amount of empty space. Pretty easy for a good hit to bend that screw a little bit. Then it will always be loose. With wood filling in under the bottom of the butt plate you have no gap between wood and metal. Also the wood will prevent any chance of movement from side to side.

Flat or radius under the top will both work. But I prefer to have that wood under the top. With it flat you have the screw going through a good amount of empty space. Pretty easy for a good hit to bend that screw a little bit. Then it will always be loose. With wood filling in under the bottom of the butt plate you have no gap between wood and metal. Also the wood will prevent any chance of movement from side to side.
Thanks again Bill! I’m gonna leave the wood under it and go with that. I have a lot to do.

I shaped my full length Hawken to conform to the inside radius of the butt plate. This was tedious work to get a good fit and of no obvious benefit.

1673384249605.jpeg
1673384276948.jpeg

Back