• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

clp patch lube

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckknife

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Today i took the gpr 54 out to shoot,had my regular dry patch lube and also some precut 15s that i had wet with clp and squeezed in a c clamp till there really was hardley any lube on em.
Used 100gr of goex 3f an shot at 60 yards leanen on a hog feeder.I put a clp 15 over the powder an then one around the ball.Shooting at a 3inch black dot were the 10 ring is a inch an the bullseye is no moreun 1/2 inch i procedded to tear the dickens out of em.Good groups for a oil i figuared was only good for protecten bores.Did swab between shots with the regular routine.Went to another target after 5 shots so i could tell were it was hitten.Same thing.
After that i went back to the other patch cutting off the strip at the muzzle,it shot good also but i think the clp with the precut store bought 15s did a little better really.
By this time the sun came out behind the clouds an really started cooken me.I stucker out for a while but it got hot an humid were it werent much fun anymore.Any ways i made smoke an found out Breakfree clp makes a decent patch lube. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

One might be surprised what makes a good patch lube, I bet almost any paste-oil-liquid concoction was tried over the last couple of centuries...

Trying different lubes makes for a fun day of shooting at the very least, and that's always a good thing...

A 100 grns of 3f?! wow!

interesting,,over powder then the patch,,hhmmm? wadded or folded? .530? .535? Spit swab? What pre-cuts?(T/C or Ox-yoke?) Lubed in a vise like ole'sage' does? What's a spent patch look like? Cleaning different?
I had to change myself this year,,ran out of the favorite size patchin and could only find .005 over for "crushed" size from original.(only thing close).
I had to change too the smaller ball and go from 1-6 to 1-4,AND drop the charge 10 grs! so I'm only shooting 70 grns or so fer target! but it's back too 1 hole at 50 off-hand.(read 5 ft!)(dependin on the "wiggle"!)(wobble?)aww heck!

Tacks they was some traditions nonlubed precuts that i bought on sale fer 2.00 The vise thing is really consistant.I just wet each patch a little an put the next one on top and do this till i have 20 patches.Then putem in a c-clamp and squeeze it as tight as i can.When you takem out there really isnt hardley any lube on em.An it is a consistant lube through all of em.
In the 36 one of these patches is enough but in the 54 with the heavyer charge it will burn just one patch an aint accurate enough fer me.With the 2 patch deal the one by the powder has a couple small holes in it but the one around the ball looks good.
When i cut at the muzzle i had to use a small patch over the powder an one around the ball also.The mix was 7to1 on a 20 that compresses to a 12.If i dint do it this way i had a flyer an a few holes.This is some indigo denium i bought fer the 36 i wanted to try in the 54.I just cut a small square patch and put on the down on the powder with the ramrod with the cleanen jag not being on then cut at the muzzle.Really i could find no difference between the precuts an cuten at the muzzle unless i used too big of patch on the powder,which would result in the 2 patches clingen togther an found 25 yards down range.
I used spit lighly fer swabben,ran a patch down to where the fouling is in the breech an work it slowly back an forth down there till i could feel it were smooth then pull the rod out,flip the patch over an one quick in an out.
As you know the water soulable oil works an we can change the amount of lube,but then there is the vairable of just how much of that lube we leave in the patch.You know the problems i had with it when i squuezed too much out be fore drying,now i dunk a strip lay it out flat and take a bottle with the same mix an soaker down evenly accross the patch an let dry.A lot more lube than the way i doner the first time.So besides the mixing of what rate of lube is put on it there is the varaible of how much is applyed to the patch seems like.
With the clamp i belive this varible is cut down as long as you use the same clamp an same amount of patches and squezze it down as tight as it will go.The patches are flatened out some but there really is hardley any lube on em.
The way i see it the less lube the better for accuracy but i have to protect the one around the ball cause it is pratically lube less.
What got me started on the clamp was when i shot 120 gr of 2f out of the 54 with 2 precuts lubed with nappa 7to 1 an a drop of murphys oil soap on them patches after the nappa dryed.Between the 2 of em they seeemed a little heavy lubed so i squeezed the lube out of the patches best i could with my fingers.It shot the balls on target with a pretty stiff wind that day and i was amazed that a 10 over the powder an a 10 around the ball could shoot this good with the heavy powder charge.
Maybe the staight nappa oil applyed to a patch then squuezed out in a vise may result in good groups also,aint tryed that one yet.Remember it was hot yesterday an very humid,this could make sum difference when the weather cools down and humidity is lower.I aint the best shot in the world by no means and off hand at 60yards id be happy just keepen all the balls close to the 3 inch circle :haha:

Buckknife, have you ever used an OxYoke Wonderwad on top of the powder? I use the unlubed ones in my .45 and .50s and they work great. I've also used about a 30gr. charge of Cream of Wheat on top of the powder. It acts as a buffer, and will prevent burnt patches also. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Tacks that was a .530 ball,the box i have marked at 225gr so its with .5 by weight.
Musketman i do belive i could shoot pig poo using the clamp an the 2 patch method with good results.Clp is what i use to protect the bores of my muzzle loaders.I always remove it before i shoot.I just wonder if it would make a patch lube also.The fouling was no worse than any other lubed ive tryed and it cleaned up good with a squirt of nappa oil an a squirt of pinsol in the water.
Next time out im gonna try skunk pee :bull:

chief i aint never tryed em being the tight wad i am.The patch on the powder i use always has the same lube as the one around the ballMaybe with a unlubed wonderwad i would put less lube in the barrrel yet resulting in better groups?
What is the cost of em,i have heard of some of these guys making there own also.May have to givem a try.
Good to see ya here chief,seems like a good place to hang out an share an learn. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif :)

Props

Whenever I use the Breakfree CLP in my sidelock bores to store the rifles or put it on a patch to swab, they will all mis-hangfire a few times the next time I shoot. Use that stuff sparingly like you are... don't try to add anymore. My 777 powder & #11 nipples don't like that stuff in my bores at all. I only use it now for initial powder cleaning after a range session & every 3rd time cleaning my rifle exteriors.

Thanks Buckknife! Great forum with a vast amount of good info! The Wonder Wads can be found at alot of online ML stores. I purchased mine at a small local gun shop in my hometown. You can get em here . That's about the going price. I've noticed more consistency as far as my accuracy goes too. These are the lubed ones on the website. I'll look around and see if I can find a source for the unlubed ones. Some guys do punch 'em out of an old wool blanket, but I'd hate to use good wool like that. ::

Trip i lay it on thick,pump it up and down the patched rod after cleanen so a mist sprays out the nipple.You have to use either alkey the same way to remove it or use a brake cleaner by spraying it down the bore and some in the nip.Swaber good till about dry an let it set a minute so the acetone in the brake cleaner can eveaperate some and run a xcouple more dry patches down.You will have a breech an nipple that hasnt got any oil in it and the bore will also be clean.Make sure you snap a cap before loaden just incase.I always do a fouling shot also so i can keep the bore consistant with the swab in the 54.As long as i remove it this way i dont have any problems with clp or any other oil.If i leave oil in the breech it absorbs into the powder as soon as they come in contact,thated be were the problems begin. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wonderwads are a little pricey, but they're outstanding for:

1) Keeping natural lube on the walls of the bore to reduce fouling with large powder charges;
2) Acting like a firewall and providing additional sealing between the flames and the patch...patches can be picked up and used again they look so good;
3) Improves shot-to-shot consistency and accuracy;

I don't use them for range practice as the prelubed patches are good enough for light target loads...but I use them for all rifle hunting loads, smoothbore shot loads, etc.

I actually use the next larger size wad for a better seal: ie: .62 in .58....58 in .54....54 in .50....50 in .45.

Caliber size wads fit the lands, leaving the grooves open around around the edges, and the heat & pressure are supposed to spread the wad into the grooves...however, using the next larger sized wad, they are already tightly forced into the groove when you load them, and when picked up off the range, the edges look like little gears so they really make a good fit.

(Not a scientist, just my thought on the matter) ::

When shooting a conical, they will also help to reduce leading, by protecting the bullet in the same manner as they protect the patch. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wanna waste some bucks, bucky? Git that SPG stuff. i use to use it on maxihunters. Comes in a little cylindrical bar in a brinks truck. a little stiff and it smells distinctly of beeswax and I wonder what else is in it. It worked well for me though. Actually, I think it was designed as a BP cartridge lube.

Regards, sse

Completely agree...forgot that one...good catch :applause:

In fact, back when I shot an inline I used them under sabots...since then, I've used them with TC's Maxi-Hunters and Hornady's Great Plains bullets in sidelock ML's

No dont want to waste no big bucks,aint got none.Came home empty handed,they had wads with bore butter on em but none with out.What im doing works,may try some canvas under the patched ball an see what happens.The idea is too use as little lube as possible,not more :blah:

Considering he was swabbing between shots, he really didn't need any lube at all. DW40 would have worked as all that's needed is enough lube to prevent pathc uctting on discharge and riding out the barrel.
; The real test for a lube is: will it work for hunting? That is, can you fire 5 accurate shots without swabbing the barrel, and if so, what's the group size. Can you shoot al day at the range without having to swab the barrel and without losing accuracy. THAT's the test for a lube - consecutive shooting without having to clean the barrel. Few pass the muster.

As far as using as little lube as possible, enough must be used so the barrel remains clean enough to load the next shot. Thicker, rather than thinner lubes are necessary- BUT- they must remain soft in cold weather.

The real test for a lube is: will it work for hunting? That is, can you fire 5 accurate shots without swabbing the barrel,
Who needs5 shot's for hunting? (non-swabbers?)

The no-swap, all-day shooting/accuracy thing is a myth and marketing ploy. I don't care what they say,,I've out shot too many to believe it works. Even spit patch/barrel blowers effectually "swab" the bore after each shot, the key is too maintain consistant bore condition from shot too shot. Adding "grease" to "powder fouling" may make a happy day at the range, but, those shooters end-up outside the fence watching the compition." Wow',they say,'look at those guy's shoot!",,Guy's!,,next time watch'm load.
I can cap maybe 2 rounds after the enicial shot useing spit only, and still hit the mark! After that, I need ta clean and start over. Do I need to to that while hunting? No.

Interesting thread bucky,,thanks for the return info, makes sence. To offer one critique? remember the "once down and back" thing, that extra little wiggle on the bottom has cost me more than once. I know what ya mean,when ya feel that crunch on the bottom,,ya wanna clean that out,,huh?,,hhhmm? consistant. best wishes to ya,and "knock on wood"

Back